Your thoughts on if this would be good for this year...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ckdeuce

Feeling the Heat
Feb 11, 2008
Western, PA
http://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/for/1944295019.html

This guy just called me back after I sent him an email asking how long ago the wood was split. I explained that I was looking for wood that was truly seasoned.
He stated that the wood was only split in the last 72 hours, but it had been down and seasoned in rounds for 6 years. He said that if I am not satisfied he would simply head home. He would be coming about an hour drive, so he seems very confident. He said that there is no bark left on any of the wood and that it would "Light with just a little bit of paper below it". He said that he has never been turned away and that once I saw the wood I would have no worries.... I am about a cord or so low for this year, but I would rather use gas than fight with unseasoned wood.

He said it is about 120 cubic feet of would. My math could be wrong, but is that not about 1 cord?

Any thoughts? Should I give it a try or pass? I know wood needs to be split to dry well, but if it has really been in rounds for 6 years, will I have any luck.

Thanks all!

A cord's 128 ft³ of neatly stacked split wood, so he's just shy of that by ~6%, if his estimate's accurate. Seasoned in rounds bucked to length, or log length rounds? Makes a big difference. If bucked rounds and actually sitting for 6 years, it could be pretty good stuff. Log length, maybe not so good. If, when you see the wood, you decide you don't want it, will he forego the delivery charge as well as (of course) the cost of the load...or want something for his trouble of bringing it to show you? Sounds sincere, but who knows? Any references? Those are my thoughts. Rick

fossil said:
A cord's 128 ft³ of neatly stacked split wood, so he's just shy of that by ~6%, if his estimate's accurate. Seasoned in rounds bucked to length, or log length rounds? Makes a big difference. If bucked rounds and actually sitting for 6 years, it could be pretty good stuff. Log length, maybe not so good. If, when you see the wood, you decide you don't want it, will he forego the delivery charge as well as (of course) the cost of the load...or want something for his trouble of bringing it to show you? Sounds sincere, but who knows? Any references? Those are my thoughts. Rick

Thanks Rick. What do you think about the price? Sounds fair to me.

ckdeuce said:
fossil said:

Thanks Rick. What do you think about the price? Sounds fair to me.

If it turns out to be good wood, I think the price is right in there...but I don't know the prevailing prices in your area. Since I can't ever get Oak (seasoned or not) at any price, and I pay ~$125+ for CSD softwoods, I'd be all over it like flies on poop. May not be all that great a deal where you live though, dunno. Rick

ck, Rick's right. I have about half of a 20 cord log load left that was dropped of about 1.5 years ago. I bucked and split some a few days ago, and the splits were just about as wet as the first load I did right after delivery.
Maybe save both of you some grief by calling to ask about that, like Rick suggested.
Otherwise, it's a pretty good price for this area. Cord of c/s/d hardwood around here runs about $165-180.

120 cu ft of *dry* hardwood delivered would be pretty fair price at $150 in most places during September

BUTTTT Bark falling off is not the usual determinant of how *dry* oak is

More of an indication of how many times rounds have been rained on or how much moisture it picked up from ground contact

Rounds unsplit, actually dry very little particularly since they are rarely stacked to get much 'air drying'

I would take my 15 buck 3 year old Harbor moisture meter along with the 150 bucks to meet the guy before he starts unloading

If he sells as much as he advertises, surprising he does not have a Harbor meter

I was given some oak that was cut down they said 10 years ago it was in 8 ' pieces. I cut up in 18" pieses and took home and split and I have never seen such wet wood was really surprised when splitting could see mosture runnig out. Had no bark. I ssplit stacked should be good in acouple of years.

Cpt

ckdeuce said:
He said it is about 120 cubic feet of would. My math could be wrong, but is that not about 1 cord?

A full cord in a 1-ton pickup? It had better have racks that bring it to 4' high. Even then, if it is just dumped in there, no way is it near a full cord. A full cord tossed takes up 180 cu.ft., as opposed to when it is stacked, when it is 128 cu.ft. Doubt it's seasoned at all unless it was cut into stove length rounds.

Examine it carefully and don't be afraid to turn it down. I sent a guy packing this year after he assured me the same things your guy did. He also claimed to have been in the business for 30 years. Guy shows up and he ain't out of his 30s yet. The wood was punky and way short of a cord. I refused it, but told him I'd give him one more chance. When we measured his truck (7'8"Wx12'Lx38"H), I told him I'd take a load of the locust he said he had if it was stacked to the top of the racks (38") and if it was four rows deep. That would come to just about 128 cu.ft. Three days later, his two flunkies show up with one row of locust and two rows of cherry - a full 25% short. They proceeded to get very angry at me, saying it was a real good deal anyway. I thought it was going to come to fisticuffs for a minute, I swear. It was a real bad scene. They stood there glaring at me, and I glared back. I assured them that they didn't really want to go there with me (best bluff of the decade). They glared at me a bit more and then they got in the truck and left.

Since then, I've decided not to give anybody new a chance. Too many CL BS artists out there, and I don't have the time (nor the fighting skills) any more. I can't imagine my propane dealer sending a guy out with 96 gallons for the price of 128 and menacing me if I didn't take it because it was a "real good deal". Why should I accept this treatment from a wood guy?

Good luck with it, hope it turns out better than my latest misadventure. :roll:

Sounds iffy to me, Like BK said, close to a full cord on a pickup is piled up real high. Not to mention probably more weight than even a 1 ton truck would haul.

If I needed "dry" wood I would be doing the moisture meter test for sure before handing over any cash.

If its close to a cord and dry its a good deal.

If I was in a "arguing" mood I would have him bring a load. If it wasnt heaped up near the top of the cab I wouldnt even bother checking if its dry and say no thanks.

Tough call. This is one of those cases where a moisture meter would come in handy. Take a few splits, split them and test.

Well.... We shall see. He is coming tonight to show me his 'WOOD'.

To purchase Dry wood for this burning season , #1 rule buy it last year

Skier76 said:
Tough call. This is one of those cases where a moisture meter would come in handy. Take a few splits, split them and test.

Good avice:Take a few splits, split them and test,Take a few splits, split them and test,Take a few splits, split them and test,Take a few splits, split them and test. Or take a few splits and split them again. Red oak is notroious for water retention in my neck of the woods.

Is it stacked yet???

ANeat said:
Is it stacked yet???

Nope, but I just got home and tossed a few large pieces in the Mansfield with just a roll of newspaper. It took right off. I am happy so far. No sizzle and with no kindling it is going strong. Maybe to strong for my season 'break in' fire.

ckduece, sorry I did not see your post sooner. I have over 15 cords cut and stacked and some really good stuff, Oak, Beech, Cherry, Hickory and you know I am serious about it being a member here. I have never sold any so far. If you ever need some again let me know and you are welcome to check out the wood with a moisture meter and a beer. I have 23 acres of the stuff and it is my hobby and my work out routine. I was amazed today I cut up a standing dead Oak (dead for atleast 20 years) and it was only 15 on the moisture meter, even at the base. We ended having a fire tonight and I tried a few pieces and they are burning like a dream. I guess once in awhile you get lucky. I don't really need it but it is nice to have since I usually wait 2 years on the Oak.

GolfandWoodNut said:
ckduece, sorry I did not see your post sooner. I have over 15 cords cut and stacked and some really good stuff, Oak, Beech, Cherry, Hickory and you know I am serious about it being a member here. I have never sold any so far. If you ever need some again let me know and you are welcome to check out the wood with a moisture meter and a beer. I have 23 acres of the stuff and it is my hobby and my work out routine. I was amazed today I cut up a standing dead Oak (dead for atleast 20 years) and it was only 15 on the moisture meter, even at the base. We ended having a fire tonight and I tried a few pieces and they are burning like a dream. I guess once in awhile you get lucky. I don't really need it but it is nice to have since I usually wait 2 years on the Oak.

I will do a search, but last year I made a post about how I had just moved and I left all of my good wood at my other home. You GolfandWoodNut said that you had some stuff that you were seasoning and that if I needed help 'next year' (as in this year) that you would be happy sell me some. You are the real deal. I find it amazing that there are still true people out there like you. Cheers to you. I'm not sure where you live in the burgh, but I grew up in Clairton. Once again, thanks for the offer. If you do want to sell some wood, let me know. I will be at the game on Sunday, if you happen to go, PM me and I will buy you a beer or four.

It must be a Pittsburgh thing. All the best - Chris

Cool. I did write a post last year but some how the webmaster deleted me out and I had to start over. You may or may not find it. I did go to the last preseason game but do not normally go to the regular season games. A friend of mine does have season tickets so I may get to go. I live near to the airport (moon), grew up in the North Hills. Everything is a hill around here. Enjoy the game and the beer.

Worse wood burning season I ever had was my first one when my neighbor very generously offered to give me some wood since I didn't have much. I went over to help him cut and split it. He had a pile of tree length red oak that was all grey and looked like it had sitting there for several years. He cut some rounds off the pile and we split them, first thing I noticed was the weight of the wood, then when I tried to burn it the wood would smolder and took forever to catch. I'm sure the stuff burns great in his old stove and would also explain why his chimney smokes like a coal fired steam engine.

That was when I realized the importance of truly seasoned wood and found this site.

Status
Not open for further replies.