Your Thoughts on this CL ad about SEASONED WOOD

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tyler

Nov 17, 2013
Southwest, Ohio
http://indianapolis.craigslist.org/grd/4657774376.html

I live in SW, Ohio so this isn't to far away. Looking for truly seasoned wood for this winter for my PE True North. I will have plenty of wood for the years to come.(Waiting to season.! :rolleyes:) Just needing wood to get me started this year. I could make one trip to get all the wood I needed (2-3 cord). Does this seem like a deal or what are your thoughts? Thanks in advance

Jags is right.

What's throwing me off though is he says it was cut and split last year. Any oak or locust isn't gonna be dry

I would say try to get 2-3 cords of just maple or cherry but his prices are way high. He's mighty proud of that cherry and walnut :eek:

For 3 cords of cherry you'd be looking at 1000 bucks. Seems high to me, but then again what're you willing to pay for dry wood if you don't have any?

Reactions: Tyler
I was kind of thinking it was a taste high in the price. Haven't talked to him yet to see if there is a discount for quantity. According to Sweeps BTU chart cherry is further down the list on the BTU's. So the ash, mulberry, and honey locust(as long as it's seasoned) would be the better wood. Right? Or am I missing something about Cherry?

I can get cords of wood closer to home for $155 delivered but I worry about the guy because he doesn't own a MM and he doesn't split his 2 year old ash logs until he gets a order ready for delivery.

Just wanting to get a nice seasoned wood so I minimize problems with new EPA stove.

For just a few shekels, you too can own your very own moisture meeter. That and an axe makes for handy tools to evaluate wood for purchase. You are looking at spend upwards of a grand on wood - 20 bucks might just be a wise piece of insurance.

Reactions: Fred Wright
I was kind of thinking it was a taste high in the price. Haven't talked to him yet to see if there is a discount for quantity. According to Sweeps BTU chart cherry is further down the list on the BTU's. So the ash, mulberry, and honey locust(as long as it's seasoned) would be the better wood. Right? Or am I missing something about Cherry?

I can get cords of wood closer to home for $155 delivered but I worry about the guy because he doesn't own a MM and he doesn't split his 2 year old ash logs until he gets a order ready for delivery.

Just wanting to get a nice seasoned wood so I minimize problems with new EPA stove.

Fresh split ash, even if the rounds were cut years ago, is going to be wet.

Youd probably be okay with any of the wood that isnt oak or locust, but like jags said, go grab a moisture meter at lowes for 20 bucks to verify yourself

For just a few shekels, you too can own your very own moisture meeter. That and an axe makes for handy tools to evaluate wood for purchase. You are looking at spend upwards of a grand on wood - 20 bucks might just be a wise piece of insurance.

I completely agree I actually have a MM on order already and always carry a mini mail/hatchet with me lol

Fresh split ash, even if the rounds were cut years ago, is going to be wet.

Youd probably be okay with any of the wood that isnt oak or locust, but like jags said, go grab a moisture meter at lowes for 20 bucks to verify yourself

So the mulberry and ash from the CL ad would be ok ya think?

So the mulberry and ash from the CL ad would be ok ya think?

Ive never had mulberry, but the ash maybe. Id just be sure to check it myself with an MM. You'll be able to tell if its dry or not if youre loading it yourself

If I was running a firewood business, that is how I would run it. Dude seems to get it, he's a real business. He isn't some good ole boy selling pickup loads out of a 1/2 ton between jobs. Do you pay a little more for that? Absolutely.

I would just buy the mixed hardwoods. If you are picking it up at his location, you are going to be handling ever split when you get it home to stack. Test a few pieces of oak and locus. If they aren't at 23%, I would just stack all the oak and locus in a separate place for next year. That seems to be cheapest.

If I was running a firewood business, that is how I would run it. Dude seems to get it, he's a real business. He isn't some good ole boy selling pickup loads out of a 1/2 ton between jobs. Do you pay a little more for that? Absolutely.

I would just buy the mixed hardwoods. If you are picking it up at his location, you are going to be handling ever split when you get it home to stack. Test a few pieces of oak and locus. If they aren't at 23%, I would just stack all the oak and locus in a separate place for next year. That seems to be cheapest.

That's what I'm leaning towards. Going to call him and talk to him about it and feel him out about it.

I would check on the legality of transporting firewood.

I have talk to the Ohio Department of Agriculture and they said there isn't a law against bringing wood/firewood into the state. No problem there

I can't think of anywhere in SW Ohio that this guy wouldn't be too far away from, he's like on the north side of Indy. That would end up being some really expensive wood. If you can find someone selling mostly ash you might have a good chance at getting fairly seasoned wood since a lot of the ash around here is dead standing or close to it..
I don't know how far you are from this seller, but you might want to give them a call .
https://cincinnati.craigslist.org/grq/4655676021.html
You've probably seen them on CL, they plaster around 10 ads a day on there.
There aren't a whole lot of wood sellers in the area and the ones there are ain't cheap.

I can't think of anywhere in SW Ohio that this guy wouldn't be too far away from, he's like on the north side of Indy. That would end up being some really expensive wood. If you can find someone selling mostly ash you might have a good chance at getting fairly seasoned wood since a lot of the ash around here is dead standing or close to it..
I don't know how far you are from this seller, but you might want to give them a call .
https://cincinnati.craigslist.org/grq/4655676021.html
You've probably seen them on CL, they plaster around 10 ads a day on there.
There aren't a whole lot of wood sellers in the area and the ones there are ain't cheap.

I talked to that seller on CL that you posted and they have no idea on the moisture of there wood. But they have a lot of hubs that disperse wood around cincinnati. I called them and they have one hub that is the next town over but they wouldn't tell me where it was so I could check out the wood before I buy. I'm going to look into it more.

The guy North of Indy is legit I spoke with him this evening but he is 3 hours away and in my opinion pretty high priced. Especially if I got 3 cord from him. But he does guarantee his wood under 23-25%

Make sure he knows how to measure MC properly, that is, by measuring the face of a fresh split. I recently saw a CL ad with a pic of the seller with a meter stuck in the end of a round showing low MC. Not right. Take your meter and open up a fresh split.

Status
Not open for further replies.