Your Wood Sheds. Post pics here.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Carbon_Liberator said:
Here's a picture of ours, and a video of the boys filling her up.
I'm sure glad we built it, makes storing firewood a lot easier, and neater.
Carbon that's fantastic too......like the video, I'm gomma show that to my three kids, maybe use of to start training them!

Scotty Overkill said:
BeGreen said:
This went up in 2008. It'll never match the beauties shown here, but it was a fun project and the first time at building something like this. I thought it was done, but I like it so much that I am now considering adding another bay this summer.
BeGreen that's a nice shack too! You guys are making me antsy.....I gotta get my butt in gear on this project!
I built mine bymyself in a day. Well i did not put the tin on i think but that was only like another hour and i also dug the post holes a previous day, but with my tractor and the neighbors augor, so i had more time driving the tractor the mile to and from his house to borrow it with my tractor than using it. Also cause my tin was repurposed (was off one of those tin storage sheds like you buy at Lowes or on the road side somewhrere) and i was not smart enough to measure the old holes to reuse them. I had alread got the stickers on it and the holes did not match up so i had a bucket of that roof tar/rubber and had to goop globs of that stuff on about 150 holes!!! That took me an hour or so id say.

But if i busted my but i could have dont the whole thing easy in a day if i got an earlier start. it being witertime did not help in daylight hours either. And mine is not like one of the fancy ones either. I have siver and white tin for the roof as the shed was white with a silver roof. Silver is heavier gauge.

BeGreen said:
This went up in 2008. It'll never match the beauties shown here, but it was a fun project and the first time at building something like this. I thought it was done, but I like it so much that I am now considering adding another bay this summer.

Very nice shed. Metal roof & lattice on the sides is a nice upgrade :)
Good idea using bolts on the roof 2X6s.
Nice thing about the design, it's easy to add another section to it.
I buried my pillar blocks so they'd be anchored & froze in when the winter winds blow &
put the pallets on them. Didn't want it to fly away. :)

Yours & Carbon-Liberator's are very good "woodshed standard" to use as templates for "How to build a woodshed"

The pallet master 1000 by Pallet Pete 1 of 3 to come ! It holds 2.5 cords and is very strong made out of pallets and pallet 2*4's with a bit of paint.

Attachments

• IMG_20110730_093535.jpg
    IMG_20110730_093535.jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 1,180
  • IMG_20110530_154336.jpg
    IMG_20110530_154336.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 1,362
Blue2ndaries said:
Here's mine again...

I had forgot all about this one . . . definitely one of the
Top Ten woodsheds -- right up there with Bogy Dave and Carbon Liberator . . . and of course Fossil who has yet to post pics of his incredible woodshed. Hint. Hint.

Carbon_Liberator said:
Here's a picture of ours, and a video of the boys filling her up.
I'm sure glad we built it, makes storing firewood a lot easier, and neater.

I feel bad for any kid that bullies your sons around lol.

Okey Dokey. Same old pics.

Attachments

• niteshed.jpg
    niteshed.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 1,095
  • tarp.jpg
    tarp.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 1,254
fossil said:
WOW fossil....now this one may take the cake for me, as I am an electrician and the overhead lighting feature is near and dear to my heart.....that is simply awesome......OKAY, I got me some good idears......great shed Fossil!

Scotty Overkill said:
fossil said:
WOW fossil....now this one may take the cake for me, as I am an electrician and the overhead lighting feature is near and dear to my heart.....that is simply awesome......OKAY, I got me some good idears......great shed Fossil!

+1...composite roofing, siding, lighting = awesome shed.

Blue2ndaries said:
Scotty Overkill said:
fossil said:

+1...composite roofing, siding, lighting = awesome shed.
I already figured I'm building a hybrid...Blue, Fossil, Carbon liberator, Pete: all awesome woodsheds......we'll call mine the Frankenfritz......lol....i guess maybe I will start dreaming (I mean drawing) my plans sometime soon......

Here it is. The long narrow part on the right is full of wood inside. The rest is storage for all my stuff.

Attachments

• yd shed.jpg
    yd shed.jpg
    138.3 KB · Views: 1,295
  • yd shed 2.jpg
    yd shed 2.jpg
    141.9 KB · Views: 1,226
Some truly awesome sheds guys. a lot of thought obviously went into them! will post mine if i ever get around to learning how to put pictures up on the web! ha

Im wondering if some of these sheds with the three sides and the wood stacked tightly to the roof may account for some of your long dry times, like the 3 year for oak.

The one with the opening on the corner and the overhead light in it, seems really had to get good ventilation in there. zi would worry about my wood drying very well in some of these.

If you live in Texas or Oregon, I hear the wood is dry before you have time to get it and split and stacked in the shed. I stopped stacking inside our traditional 3 sided shed in the Adirondacks before the wood was dry because it molded the inside of the building.

SolarAndWood said:
If you live in Texas or Oregon, I hear the wood is dry before you have time to get it and split and stacked in the shed. I stopped stacking inside our traditional 3 sided shed in the Adirondacks before the wood was dry because it molded the inside of the building.

Was thinking it would do that too. I hav had wood mold in a pile in the summer if not stacked, also had it mold in the truck when i left it for a week or so.

tfdchief said:
Here it is. The long narrow part on the right is full of wood inside. The rest is storage for all my stuff.

Darn it . . . I was hoping for the picture of your grandson giving you the "finger" with the woodshed in the background. ;) :) I love that picture.

firefighterjake said:
tfdchief said:

Darn it . . . I was hoping for the picture of your grandson giving you the "finger" with the woodshed in the background. ;) :) I love that picture.
Maybe I can get you an autographed copy :) :cheese: :snake:

tfdchief said:
firefighterjake said:
tfdchief said:

Maybe I can get you an autographed copy :) :cheese: :snake:

You know I would like that . . . :)

I figured I might as well post a pic of my woodshed.

Attachments

• House4.jpg
    House4.jpg
    140.7 KB · Views: 1,175
  • smallershed.jpg
    smallershed.jpg
    115.4 KB · Views: 1,066
I'm already 2.5 cords through my 7 year. Nice pics.

firefighterjake said:
I figured I might as well post a pic of my woodshed.

Very nice shed, huge & stuffed full, The vertical boards make it look "wood-shed" like.
Might do the back side of mine with slabs I just like the look :)
Nice trailers too.
What's that thing with skis on the back side, something for snow?? Do you get snow LOL :lol:
great pics

clemsonfor said:
...The one with the opening on the corner and the overhead light in it, seems really had to get good ventilation in there. zi would worry about my wood drying very well in some of these.

Don't worry. My shed has very good ventilation, as the siding boards are not tight together and the floor is elevated and spaced as well. But, beyond all that, I never expect to season wood from green inside my shed. My wood seasons out in the open elsewhere on my property and only goes into the shed when it's ready to burn during the upcoming season. Besides all that, I live in the Central Oregon high desert country, where the humidity is very low and all I have access to are softwoods, which season relatively quickly. My shed works just fine for me just the way it is in my situation, as I'm sure all the other great sheds shown here do for their owners. Rick

clemsonfor said:
SolarAndWood said:

Was thinking it would do that too. I hav had wood mold in a pile in the summer if not stacked, also had it mold in the truck when i left it for a week or so.

Living in OR I can attest to this. Before I built my shed we did the whole tarp thing on top of pallets and there would be some mold/fungus here and there but I tried hard to keep rows separate (single row stacks) and only partially covered to promote airflow. Now with the shed I still stack in single rows with 6-8in gap between rows, don't not stack up all the way to the rafters, and designed the shed to keep all 4 sides open w/raised floor (per the wisdom on this forum) to promote air flow all around and underneath. No mold/fungus thus far that I can see. Funny enough while I was constructing the shed all my friends, in-laws, neighbors all asked, in their conventional wisdom, if I was going to sheath/enclose the entire thing. I said no and argued the position of promoting air-flow...some understood it, some did not.

My shed is not ventilated. See post #39. I only put wood ready to burn in at the beginning of the season. I don't want ventilation because the wood shed isn't for the wood, it is for me!!!!.....so I am warm and cozy when I go to get wood for the house. I don't want the elements in my wood shed :coolgrin:

Status
Not open for further replies.