You're not leaving that there...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CountryBoy19

Minister of Fire
Jul 29, 2010
Southern IN
That's what I heard last night from the wife after I had just finished splitting and stacking almost 2 cords of wood.

What?

The wood, I don't want it there so you may as well not stack anymore because you're going to have to move it.

Uh, I asked you if I could stack it here and you said I don't know, but then never said a single word to me when I started stacking it; instead, you waited until I was completely done stacking it here?

Uh, I told you that I didn't want it there

Uh, you said no, I explained exactly where I wanted to put it and you said 'I don't know', but then never said another word about it.

I don't care, it's not staying there....

Anybody want to guess what is going to happen to the wood?

I'm still not sure myself. I'm going to try to sweet-talk her into leaving it there. It's this winter's wood (yellow poplar so it should be seasoned by winter) so it should be gone in a few months. Otherwise I'm going to tell her that I'll move it once I get done splitting all the other wood and I get the fireplace installed. I'm sure I can convince her of that...

It still just aggravates me that she didn't flat out object to the wood being there and then once it's already there then she objects... does she think this work is easy?

CountryBoy19 said:

It is going to get burned and everyone is going to enjoy the heat of the fire. First year burning? Having a face cord in the garage to throw in the fireplace around the holidays is a lot different than having enough to keep the house warm for the winter. I'd come up with a mutually agreeable plan before you work on getting a few years ahead. Even with the mutually agreed upon plan, my wife still doesn't like the stock pile. But, she tolerates it.

[
At a place I use to work at you had to get AVO's signed by the foremen so you could unlock a machine that had been worked on.

AVOID VERBAL ORDERS

Have the foremen sign the AVO before you stack anymore.

zap

SolarAndWood said:
CountryBoy19 said:

It is going to get burned and everyone is going to enjoy the heat of the fire. First year burning? Having a face cord in the garage to throw in the fireplace around the holidays is a lot different than having enough to keep the house warm for the winter. I'd come up with a mutually agreeable plan before you work on getting a few years ahead. Even with the mutually agreed upon plan, my wife still doesn't like the stock pile. But, she tolerates it.

Yeah first year burning. I think she is really going to enjoy the fireplace, but she is being extremely picky about where I can and can't stack wood. It's absurd almost. Maybe things will get a bit better when she realizes how nice it is the have the fireplace. She insists on the temp being nice and warm, and there is no way we can keep it that way without wood heat so I know she'll get lots of benefit out of it. But she just doesn't want the wood stacked near the houseShe wants me to call the owner of the field behind us and ask him if I can stack the wood in the edge of the field.

What? You want me to call a complete stranger in California and ask him if I can stack firewood in his field?

Granted, it's not used, and it just grown up in weeds, but she doesn't seem to realize that the wood is eventually going to need to be stored somewhere in our yard.

I'm already a couple years ahead (probably about 8 cords of wood) but I've just now started stacking it. This may get a big difficult if she won't let me stack it anywhere.

Have her stack it !

woodsmaster said:
Have her stack it !
Ha, I tried that... didn't go over so well...

I actually said I'd move it if she helps me. She said, 'No, you can move it all on your own"

"...I don’t want it there so you may as well not stack anymore because you’re going to have to move it."

Honey, I'd be happy to help you move the woodpile once we agree on a good place for it. On the other hand, we could pick a new spot and start stacking there, and burn this wood this Winter. " If she's serious she'll help solve her problem.

Some will take responsibility, some will not. Delivering an ultimatum is a sure way to demotivate the labor department.

ATB,
Mike

I call complete strangers all the time asking if I can have the wood that's down on thier property. Asking to stack wood on an unused parcel doesn't seem that odd to me. Plus it sounds like it's where she wants and you'll probably get lots of sun and wind on the edge of a field. Win win.

My MIL works for the county tax assessmen dept. So she has access to all the maps with owners. She won't offer a phone number but who owns the land is public knowledge. So I get a name, find a number and call. Most of the time it's a law firm that handles these parcels and trust me. They are not easy to get on the phone or deal with but I call reguardless. What's the worst they could say "No". If that happens you have more fuel to your current stacking location.

I feel for you . . . but I'm lucky . . . all my wife asked me to do was start building my Holtz Mietes in the back yard instead of the front yard . . . in the future . . . and she had no issues with me processing the wood on the side lawn.

I can completely relate as I felt exactly the same way when we were about to pull the trigger on installing an insert in our fireplace last year. I had the green light until we went to the installer's shop and she saw how small the window on the insert door was. Deal cancelled.

I am spoiled though when it comes to stacking wood as not only do we have two and a half acres to work with, more importantly my bride of 20 years is a farm girl who grew up with wood heating.

We share a yard with her parents and the wood stacking dispute I currently have is with her mom..... Oh, it's not what you think...

We have a several cord stack of box elder in rounds on the North East side of her house yard that she does not want me to move!

She likes the look it gives her yard and the fact that it serves as a privacy fence for her and dad in law.

We are in negotiations as fall approaches :)

I would leave it where it is unless she helps. That way if she expects you to mind read there will be a consequence next time. She will have to restack it. Seriously, my wife is pretty good about the wood thing now. There was a time, but, a year or two with wood heat and it all seems to melt away...

zzr7ky said:
Some will take responsibility, some will not. Delivering an ultimatum is a sure way to demotivate the labor department.
She won't take responsibility, in her mind she is perfect... I'm the one that does everything wrong. I know I'm not perfect, but I would have thought that if she was really opposed to it being there she would have sternly said no.

You're right that I was demotivated. I dropped my gloves, went inside and opened a beer and just stood there, not knowing what to do. I felt like a HS football player who had led the whole game then lost it in the last 5 seconds. Didn't want to do anything, mad, upset, aggravated, crushed... Hopefully we can talk about it today when I get home from work and figure something out.

ckarotka said:
I call complete strangers all the time asking if I can have the wood that's down on thier property. Asking to stack wood on an unused parcel doesn't seem that odd to me. Plus it sounds like it's where she wants and you'll probably get lots of sun and wind on the edge of a field. Win win.

My MIL works for the county tax assessmen dept. So she has access to all the maps with owners. She won't offer a phone number but who owns the land is public knowledge. So I get a name, find a number and call. Most of the time it's a law firm that handles these parcels and trust me. They are not easy to get on the phone or deal with but I call reguardless. What's the worst they could say "No". If that happens you have more fuel to your current stacking location.

Yeah, it really would work out great in the edge of the field. It'll be completely exposed to sun and wind, it'll make a nice winter windbreak for the young cedar trees I planted this spring and it would keep our yard looking neat. Unfortunately the property is owned by an investment company in CA and they've already tried to play hardball with the property owners in our housing addition. They bought up all the empty lots and then sent us a letter that they were going to get the streets repaved and they expected us to pay for it. So I know what their answer is going to be, they're going to want me to "lease" a section of the field, or they're just going to flat say no.

But this is wood that I'll burn this year and I figured it would be ok close to the house. I certainly don't want to move it, and I doubt that I will unless she at least helps.

CountryBoy19 said:
...I dropped my gloves, went inside and opened a beer...

That's not right, she could have at least delivered a beer with the ultimatum.

I'd let it sit where it's stacked. If she lacked the curtesy to communicate exactly where she approved then tough luck. It sounds like an ugly situation in total. Keep bending and you'll always have to bend. Just my 2 cents.

Clarkbar2311 said:
I'd let it sit where it's stacked. If she lacked the curtesy to communicate exactly where she approved then tough luck. It sounds like an ugly situation in total. Keep bending and you'll always have to bend. Just my 2 cents.

Yep, its stupid to get in a disagreement with wood but its the work, not the wood. It will resolve itself the first burning season! :lol:

CountryBoy19 said:
That's what I heard last night from the wife after I had just finished splitting and stacking almost 2 cords of wood.

What?

The wood, I don't want it there so you may as well not stack anymore because you're going to have to move it.

Uh, I asked you if I could stack it here and you said I don't know, but then never said a single word to me when I started stacking it; instead, you waited until I was completely done stacking it here?

Uh, I told you that I didn't want it there

Uh, you said no, I explained exactly where I wanted to put it and you said 'I don't know', but then never said another word about it.

I don't care, it's not staying there....

I'm still not sure myself. I'm going to try to sweet-talk her into leaving it there. It's this winter's wood (yellow poplar so it should be seasoned by winter) so it should be gone in a few months. Otherwise I'm going to tell her that I'll move it once I get done splitting all the other wood and I get the fireplace installed. I'm sure I can convince her of that...

It still just aggravates me that she didn't flat out object to the wood being there and then once it's already there then she objects... does she think this work is easy?

I won't guess what will happen to your wood but if it were on my place, the wood would get moved only from the stack to the stove. End of conversation.

CountryBoy19 said:
She won't take responsibility, in her mind she is perfect... I'm the one that does everything wrong. I know I'm not perfect, but I would have thought that if she was really opposed to it being there she would have sternly said no.

Reminds me of the saying... I know I married Ms. Right, I just didn't know her first name was Always.

Tell her to get dinner started and after you get done eating you'll show her where to stack it. good luck

Sounds like you didn't think, or talk, things through thoroughly enough before jumping into this wood burning thing.
In my household I'm the head of the the house. Of course I do talk things over with my wife and value her input, but in a case like this, where I'm the one doing all the work to provide heat for the house, you can bet your bottom dollar I'll be the one deciding where the wood gets stacked.
Marriages unions can be broken or strengthened over such matters.

Penny Wharvey McGill: Well, we need that ring.
Ulysses Everett McGill: Well that ring is at the bottom of a pretty durn big lake.
Penny Wharvey McGill: Uh-uh.
Ulysses Everett McGill: A 9,000 hectare lake.
Penny Wharvey McGill: I don't care if it's 90,000...
Ulysses Everett McGill: But honey...
Penny Wharvey McGill: that lake was not my doing.
Ulysses Everett McGill: Of course not honey...
Penny Wharvey McGill: I counted to three, honey.
Ulysses Everett McGill: No, wait, honey! Finding one little ring in the middle of all that water is one hell of a heroic task!

Before I weight in with my opinion, please post a pic and some more details.
The condition of the bark may sway me one way or another.
If the heart is solid it would make a difference.
The presence of bugs is a definite no-no.

Maybe get a picture of the firewood, too.

Can you see my Avatar?
menandwomen.jpg

maplewood said:

Maybe get a picture of the firewood, too.

Can you see my Avatar?
menandwomen.jpg

lol we would not get along very well if she ask me to move the wood pile. Now if she wanted to move it, its all good!

Carbon_Liberator said:
Sounds like you didn't think, or talk, things through thoroughly enough before jumping into this wood burning thing.
In my household I'm the head of the the house. Of course I do talk things over with my wife and value her input, but in a case like this, where I'm the one doing all the work to provide heat for the house, you can bet your bottom dollar I'll be the one deciding where the wood gets stacked.
Marriages unions can be broken or strengthened over such matters.

Well, we didn't just "jump into burning wood"; we've been talking about it for a while now and both of us have family that burn wood. She knew there was going to be a wood pile. I guess we just didn't fully talk it over on where exactly the wood will be stored. I'm wanting to put it out where it's more exposed to sun/wind yet easy to get to, she doesn't care about any of that.

maplewood said:

I hate posting pics... but I'll be happy to give details.

On the rear of our house we have a porch/deck that stretches nearly the full length of the house. There is no landscaping etc there and I thought that a stack of wood would do well all along the deck. It would be exposed to the prevailing wind and afternoon-evening sun. It will also be easily accessible; I won't even have to leave the porch to get wood, just grab it from the other side of the rail. The wood is stacked up to the save height as the railing which is 3 feet high from the porch but 6 feet high from the ground. Bark is good and in tact, not making a mess. The heart is solid, it's all good solid wood. No bugs as of yet and I did put down a granular insecticide as a barrier between wood and home in case bugs become a problem. Her 2 main gripes about the location are "it will cause more spider problems in the house", which I don't see happening, we've been battling spiders since we moved in, if anything the insecticide I put down will help with the spiders. Her other gripe is that it looks tacky with wood stacked up next to the deck railing...

Ok, I get her 2 gripes, the first shouldn't be a problem, and the 2nd problem isn't going to kill anybody or cause any major problem for the few months that the wood is going to be there. She is having a really good day today so I may have some success talking it over with her tonight. I would be happy to stack the wood elsewhere from now on, it was a miscommunication and those happen sometimes, but it would be really nice of her to respect me and the work I've done enough to let me leave the pile there until it gets burnt this winter.

Status
Not open for further replies.