You're not leaving that there...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
My answer...

I asked you where to put it and you didn't say. If you want it moved you'll have to do it yourself. If you're moving it further from the house you can be the one to haul the wood inside every morning. Here are my gloves if you need them.

Vincent said:
Tell her to get dinner started and after you get done eating you'll show her where to stack it. good luck

HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Right on Vince! That is exactly what I would have said. My wife understands the labor involved with the firewood, there is no way she would say anything. I guess I must be blessed.......

eh, throw a couple of potted plants on top of the stack and pretend you have no idea what she's talkin about....."wood pile? theres no wood pile, you mean those two shrubberies?". My wife knows I'm smart as a whip, so I always play dumb......"what laundry?"....."oh, its in the dryer, no wonder I didn't see it.....how was I to know?". Doesn't really work, but it makes me chuckle, and it might make you chuckle too.....when she's not looking of course.

I'da been ticked because it wasn't on the porch already ;-)

Move the wood pile. Yep, that's right, I said move it. Have a conversation with her, jointly come to agreement where to have your wood stacked, and move it there. Get it over with. Stop fighting it. It will make her happy, you will lose nothing but a couple hours of work, and the woodpile location will be established for upcoming years.

Don't make the woodpile a fight with the woman you love where you and/or her draw a line in the sand and the marriage suffers.

Move the dammmmed wood pile and get on with life.

If I lived in southern IN I'd come help ya.

That's my $.02 and I'm stickin' to it.

ansehnlich1 said:
Don't make the woodpile a fight with the woman you love where you and/or her draw a line in the sand and the marriage suffers.

I thought marriage and suffering went hand in hand. Maybe I'm doing it wrong.

CountryBoy19 said:
Carbon_Liberator said:
Sounds like you didn't think, or talk, things through thoroughly enough before jumping into this wood burning thing.
In my household I'm the head of the the house. Of course I do talk things over with my wife and value her input, but in a case like this, where I'm the one doing all the work to provide heat for the house, you can bet your bottom dollar I'll be the one deciding where the wood gets stacked.
Marriages unions can be broken or strengthened over such matters.

Well, we didn't just "jump into burning wood"; we've been talking about it for a while now and both of us have family that burn wood. She knew there was going to be a wood pile. I guess we just didn't fully talk it over on where exactly the wood will be stored. I'm wanting to put it out where it's more exposed to sun/wind yet easy to get to, she doesn't care about any of that.

maplewood said:
Before I weight in with my opinion, please post a pic and some more details.
The condition of the bark may sway me one way or another.
If the heart is solid it would make a difference.
The presence of bugs is a definite no-no.

I hate posting pics... but I'll be happy to give details.

On the rear of our house we have a porch/deck that stretches nearly the full length of the house. There is no landscaping etc there and I thought that a stack of wood would do well all along the deck. It would be exposed to the prevailing wind and afternoon-evening sun. It will also be easily accessible; I won't even have to leave the porch to get wood, just grab it from the other side of the rail. The wood is stacked up to the save height as the railing which is 3 feet high from the porch but 6 feet high from the ground. Bark is good and in tact, not making a mess. The heart is solid, it's all good solid wood. No bugs as of yet and I did put down a granular insecticide as a barrier between wood and home in case bugs become a problem. Her 2 main gripes about the location are "it will cause more spider problems in the house", which I don't see happening, we've been battling spiders since we moved in, if anything the insecticide I put down will help with the spiders. Her other gripe is that it looks tacky with wood stacked up next to the deck railing...

Ok, I get her 2 gripes, the first shouldn't be a problem, and the 2nd problem isn't going to kill anybody or cause any major problem for the few months that the wood is going to be there. She is having a really good day today so I may have some success talking it over with her tonight. I would be happy to stack the wood elsewhere from now on, it was a miscommunication and those happen sometimes, but it would be really nice of her to respect me and the work I've done enough to let me leave the pile there until it gets burnt this winter.

I agree . . . and hopefully she will see you are being reasonable here and making a change for next year . . . unless she wants to help you move the woodpile . . . in which case I would then move it together and maybe it will be one of those bonding experiences . . . or at least she will see how much work it is. Good luck.

firefighterjake said:
I agree . . . and hopefully she will see you are being reasonable here and making a change for next year . . . unless she wants to help you move the woodpile . . . in which case I would then move it together and maybe it will be one of those bonding experiences . . . or at least she will see how much work it is. Good luck.

these would be a nice gesture :)

2115-9.jpg

Terry

We talked over where to stack the wood, but since he didn't stack any of it, he didn't really care where I stacked it. :lol: Since now I am the one who tends the boiler and stove, as well as bring the wood into the house, he let me stack it where I wanted it. Although I have to admit before I took part in tending to the stove and boiler I wanted the wood stacked out back where I couldn't see it. :red:

Doing The Dixie Eyed Hustle said:

You go girl. :lol:

dswitham said:
We talked over where to stack the wood, but since he didn't stack any of it, he didn't really care where I stacked it. :lol: Since now I am the one who tends the boiler and stove, as well as bring the wood into the house, he let me stack it where I wanted it. Although I have to admit before I took part in tending to the stove and boiler I wanted the wood stacked out back where I couldn't see it. :red:

Ok, but now that you've come to your senses, welcome to Da Sistah Hood :coolsmile:

Jags said:
Doing The Dixie Eyed Hustle said:

You go girl. :lol:

Thanks, Jags !!

Just being practical :)

Had a similar conversation with my wife years ago, explained why the woodpiles needed to be where they are etc. She really didn't like it & wanted a different arrangement. I then suggested that if she preferred the house @ 75 to 78* in the winter, that she find a second job to pay the propain bill. End of complaints about woodpile location, propain bill avgs. about 350 400 yr for hot water, stove, & clothes dryer. All money saved on heat gets applied to principal on mortgage. Good arrangement all in all. A C

I guess I have an exceptional wife, she goes with me to cut wood although she cant be around the chain saw due to a pace maker,she runs the splitter and helps load, haul and stack the wood in the barn, then helps haul it to the house come winter and has me stack it on the patio, and put some in the garage for cold wet mornings so she doesn,t have to go outside in her night clothes. AND buyes my new saws,chains , chaps, boots, and matching work gloves......and the occasional rifle,or pistol....so on my birthday I try and take her to her favorite Jewlery store for a little prize,and on her birthday I try to find her a little trinket from her favorate jewlery store.

amateur cutter said:
I then suggested that if she preferred the house @ 75 to 78* in the winter, that she find a second job to pay the propain bill. End of complaints about woodpile location
I wish it was that easy. She is already working 2 part-time jobs, so she is trying, but she still acts like she is the bread-winner; my paycheck is about 5 times that of her 2 jobs combined.

All that on top of her stubbornness, which she is supposedly "working on". She absolutely refuses to cave to anything. She says the wood isn't staying there, period. I said I'd be happy to move it if you help me, but until then it's staying there. She just gets mad and walks away before we can get anywhere on the conversation.

But I'm tired of caving into her every desire so I'm going to stand my ground on this. I've got entirely too much other stuff to do around the house to move 2 cords of wood that I worked so hard to stack.

BTW, I called the property management company for the field. They said they can't see any reason why stacking wood there would be a problem but they want me to sign an agreement that they're not liable for any damage etc that happens because of the wood. So that is where the remainder of the wood is going to be stacked.

CountryBoy19 said:
amateur cutter said:
I then suggested that if she preferred the house @ 75 to 78* in the winter, that she find a second job to pay the propain bill. End of complaints about woodpile location
I wish it was that easy. She is already working 2 part-time jobs, so she is trying, but she still acts like she is the bread-winner; my paycheck is about 5 times that of her 2 jobs combined.

All that on top of her stubbornness, which she is supposedly "working on". She absolutely refuses to cave to anything. She says the wood isn't staying there, period. I said I'd be happy to move it if you help me, but until then it's staying there. She just gets mad and walks away before we can get anywhere on the conversation.

But I'm tired of caving into her every desire so I'm going to stand my ground on this. I've got entirely too much other stuff to do around the house to move 2 cords of wood that I worked so hard to stack.

BTW, I called the property management company for the field. They said they can't see any reason why stacking wood there would be a problem but they want me to sign an agreement that they're not liable for any damage etc that happens because of the wood. So that is where the remainder of the wood is going to be stacked.

This weekend throw some Christmas lights on it then when it gets dark go outside and plug them in, should look nice. If she still hates it I would move it your marriage is more important than two cord of wood then work on the communication.

My wife ask me in the spring time if she could have the backyard back (stacked 14 f/c the year before in the back) I had room and made some other stacking areas then moved about 4 f/c.

Look at your wife then look at the wood pile then repeat until you figure out which one you love the most. :-/

zap

Wow..I dunno what to say. My wife, so far, doesn't mind 10 cords of wood in the back yard.

If she changes her mind I will simply say "Sounds good, I will be done moving it in 2 weeks" since that is what it would take me with my wheelbarrow (no tractor, no quad, no trailer, NOTHING).

Who ever said being married was easy eh??

ANdrew

Tuff call. I didn;t want the wood in the backyard anymore so I moved it to the side/front yard. My wife really doesn't care that I put it there because it's a part of the yard we never use and just happens to be the sunniest. I was more worried about the neighbors than the wife.

She told me if the neighbors complained she was going to forward our natural gas bills to them :bug:

It takes time to win some wood battles. Right now she's not that happy that all summer I've been constantly talking about getting wood, splitting wood. stacking wood. More the time away than the item or location. She knows why though and she loves the heat.

That first bitter cold day she comes home from wherever and you have a hot fire going and some coffee or cocoa and she sits on the hearth to warm her back and takes her boots off and gets comfy, you tell her you need more wood and it's all in farthest stack away from the house so get dressed princess and get it done!! LOL just kidding. On that cold day she will appreciate your efforts and may be more understanding.

woodsman23 said:
grow a set and tell her it stays!!!! simple stuff...

You took the words right out of my mouth...

There is always a division of labor in a house as well as a division of when one is right and one is wrong or just shuts up about it. This time you are right, even if it solely b/c you shouldn't have to move all that wood again. Just tell her that you are in charge of the wood and this is where it is...

Periodically I remember why I'm still single :lol:

My wife and I have had to adjust for each other over the years - I have become more sensitive to her esthetic sense and she has become more practical. Sounds like this isn't about the woodpile as much as it is finding a way to work with each other. If this is the issue you have, moving the wood pile after receiving your orders won't resolve anything, it will just reinforce the dynamic.

Looks like this thread sure has struck a cord with folks!

possible responses for next time:
"If you don't like how I process firewood, then is now a good time to talk about your cooking?"
"I'll move it one stove load at a time"
"I'll move that wood when you move mine"
"You cut and split some wood and I'll stack it anywhere you want."
"Yes, Dear"*
*This is a lie, of course, but it usually makes them happy.

Danno has it right. If the lady does not want to talk about it consider yourself lucky. There is no "absolute" in my house. We discuss things and we may disagree at some point, but I have yet to be forbidden. I extend the same courtesy...

Status
Not open for further replies.