Youth Sports

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Delta-T

Minister of Fire
Feb 27, 2008
NH
no, i dont play youth sports...my facial hair is too.....elaborate, to pass as "youth"...but my son plays Basketball. He plays in a church league (we are not "church going" people, but they let us participate anyways) and has a hoot running around with the other kids. He's 9ish, and like most other kids, 9ish, cannot really "play" basketball, they more, run around and whack each other in the face, work up a sweat and have a good ole time. Last week during his game he took a shot to the face with a wild pass which led to about a quart (or chord,cord whichever is the liquid measurement) of blood spilling out onto the court. He didn't think much of it. Had blood all in his mouth, all over his shirt, his hands, his shoes and he's standing there, smiling. A gaggle of the mothers in the gym immediately went into "the sky is falling" mode (hilarious, and not at all a shot at mothers) and ran around frantically try to gather enough spongy materials to stem the flow. I, with my 1 speed of action, kinda just mosied over and said "you ok?", "yup, but i think my nose is bleeding", look on the floor and its like a 2 foot wide pool of blood..."you think?". NOne the less, everyone freaked out except Caeleb (my son) and myself, and then he was forced to sit the rest of the game (even though the bleeding stopped). Anyone else ever witness one of those "looks so much worse than it is" kind of injuries like that? Its like the complete opposite of the Joe Theismann....that was a really bad injury that looked really bad.
I broke bunches of bones in my youth...not really a big deal IMO, but I never had stitches for anything. "yup, its broken".

Poor bugger....so he plays in a "church league" and you are not "church going" people? :lol:

Yeah, I walked on my hoof for a month after the mudders said nothin was wrong with it...xrays...2 drs...yada yada...

When Mr Gamma had his deveated septum fixed, he had complications and we had several visits to the ER because of continued heavy bleeding.

The second time we went to the ER, the nurse said "Pfft...Relax pal...you can't bleed to death from your nose!" She said that as we had an entire roll of paper towels saturated with blood with us.... >:-(

I have a bad deveated septum and need surgery and no way in hell am I gettin it fixed...I don't care if you can't bleed to death from it!

GAMMA RAY said:
Poor bugger....so he plays in a "church league" and you are not "church going" people? :lol:

i was asked to leave CCD in 7th grade for asking "why?" too many times. I'm a non-congragational universalist.....basically "whatever floats your boat, as long as you're not hurting anyone" philosophy. the church that he plays at (its a Baptist Church, super nice peeps btw) has a few folks who try to recruit me, but they usually give up when I tell them I believe in reincarnation. Its neat stuff, they take few minutes every preactice to learn biblical subject material and discuss. I do not object, I read the Bible, its was interesting, I just dont subscribe to it. My wife and son are free to "church" wherever they would like...they just dont.

It really is amazing how much blood can shoot from ones face in the right conditions.

Delta-T said:
It really is amazing how much blood can shoot from ones face in the right conditions.

Yeah, lotsa blood can come out of one's nose......that is why I ain't gittin mine fixed...I got the deveated septum in a bar fight...
Just kiddin....
no really I did.... :lol: :smirk: you shoulda seen the other "guy"...

I'll apologize now. There, I'm covered. And in keeping with the bad taste---

A guy placed a sign at his work station at one of my old jobs. It simply read-

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and doesn't die!"

That's bad!

i tell my wife that one...its funny. hopefully, she no punch me in the nose.

Fluids are a funny thing . . . pour just one cup of water on a floor and if you didn't pour the cup out yourself you might swear there was a lot more than just that single cup.

When that fluid happens to be blood . . . well things just are magnified even more so . . . so that a little bit of blood almost always looks like a lot more when it's on the floor, face, clothing, etc.

That said . . . nose bleeds and head wounds . . . lots of bleeding typically.

years ago, when i was in high school, i played basketball, but i also coached little league basketball, 9-11 year olds. was a great time, i wish i could go back to coaching little league sports but i simply dont have the time anymore

Status
Not open for further replies.