Yukon Jack furnace info

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chargerman

Feeling the Heat
Oct 22, 2009
SW Wisconsin
Were there differences or improvements made between the original "Jack" add on furnaces and the later Big Jack furnaces as far as heat output, etc.? I may or may not need to supplement my Country Flame insert when the cold hits this winter. It would be installed in a 2300sqft ranch home built in the 70's. I had a Yukon Big Jack in my previous house and I now have the opportunity to get a "Jack" furnace for free to put in my current home if I remove it. My father in law has a "Jack" that looked very similar to my old Big Jack that he bought in the late 70's or early 80's. The "Jack" I am now looking at had very little use and has not been fired since the 80's. It appears in good shape but it looks like the door latching setup is different so I think it is possibly one of the very early models. It still has a combustion blower and appears the same otherwise though.

Any thoughts good or bad on this old girl?

Thanks

FREE? If it is just backup for your woodstove, even if it is a smoke dragon (hopefully Keith will pitch in and tell you if the design has changed) free is the right price.

Keith is the expert, but what I think is that yukon bought that design from another company, and it has never changed, expect maybe minor tweaks.

If you set it up, (flue and connected to the vents), you could alway replace it later on and have all that expense already covered.

I agree the price is right. It is a long time co worker of mine that went to a outside boiler and wants it out of the basement. I just wondered if anything really changed through the years and if there may have been a reason for it.

I have the blower off of my old Big Jack because I tied that one into my LP furnace blower at the old house. I would probably just wire this one up independently for supplemental heat when I need it.

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.