Yup, I have a question, or 2 :)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Girl

Dec 18, 2007
Mass
I, actually my BF & I just put in new gaskets on our doors.
The cement container says after an hour or dry to the touch I can fire her up.
I am interested in all of your opinions, wait longer?
Another question, I bought a thermometer, I have never use one on any stove I ever run before.
My stove man said placing it in the middle of the stove will tell me the temp of the flue, your thoughts?
I trust the guy but value all your thoughts on this.
Come spring when I replace the pipe, I plan on having one on/in the flue.
Thanks!

Cement is usually OK, as it actually hardens with heat....no reason to wait longer than the container says.

Therm placement depends on the stove, and no - the stove temp does not really relate to the flue temp, but it is mostly the stove temp you are interested in anyway. If you have a model with a typical single wall top, then placing the therm on the top is fine and will provide a relative idea of how you are firing the stove. That is the purpose of it.

Thank you so much!
The site has been so helpful, I have been a lurker for a while.
:)

Keep on lurking.

Thermometers are cheap and a very good tool to see what is going on during the burning process. I recommend one on the stove top and also one on the pipe.

+1 on the thermometer. Mine was a great aid in learning how to use the stove and keep it running efficiently.

Prefer having peace of mind with the thermometer, yes.
Kind of silly I just got one now!
How long till I get over getting up bunches of times to check the thermometer due to my cat like curiosity? lol
I appreciate everyones experiences & wisdom.
Thanks!

Girl said:
Prefer having peace of mind with the thermometer, yes.
Kind of silly I just got one now!
How long till I get over getting up bunches of times to check the thermometer due to my cat like curiosity? lol
I appreciate everyones experiences & wisdom.
Thanks!

I did it until I could pretty much tell by looking at the fire how hot it was but I drove myself crazy getting up and down for quite awhile.

What kind of stove is this?

Todd said:
Thermometers are cheap and a very good tool to see what is going on during the burning process. I recommend one on the stove top and also one on the pipe.

Hmmmmmm.... cheap thermometers are CHEAP pieces of junk and are inaccurate. Buy something of quality that will last as long as the stove will!

They only had two brands of magnetic thermometers left & they where the same price, I went to the local wood stove/chimney guys.
Is there a particular brand that anyone knows has been tested for accuracy or finds tried & true?
Price is not an option when it comes to the family. The house is electric heat, nuff said.
If I have one for the flue & the stove I know I will have different reads & this will make me crazy I am sure.
Any advice on the scenario of two therms on flue & pipe? For now it shall remain just the stove, as its a cozy Sunday & I am not going anywhere.
I have an Upland 107. I had one of the gentlemen go on line to get the specs on her since he was not familiar & I had not brought my literature either.

Thanks again!

Calling Craig to the lobby. Web, we have an Upland customer here.

Well, you've come to the right place for an Upland Girl. Read up on the history here. At the bottom of the page are some documentation links. Who knows, this might even be an Issod special Upland?

https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/wiki/History_of_Upland_Stove_Company

PS: Condar and Rutland are the main thermometer manufacturers. If you can only get one that has warning scales on it, note that the scales are for single wall flue mounting and not stove top. The thermometer will still work on a stove top, but you will have to burn by temperature and not the burn range scales.

Craig has been very helpful :)
As has everyone else too!
Condar is what I got, I had no idea what brand was the most reputable, this is good to know.

Status
Not open for further replies.