Yup, just another day at the office.......I love it!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
bogydave said:
Great pics
Looks like in a few years, it'll be a pine forest.
Lots of new ones coming up. Must be some mother trees up wind.
Yes, in that area there are a few old white pine that produce a lot of seedlings. The number of young white oak coming up in most areas of the woods far outnumber the white pine though. It changed from prairie/grassland many decades ago to black oak and jackpine. Now the jackpine are gone and the black oak are thinning so that it's changing to white oak/white pine forest.

quads said:
bogydave said:
Great pics
Looks like in a few years, it'll be a pine forest.
Lots of new ones coming up. Must be some mother trees up wind.
Yes, in that area there are a few old white pine that produce a lot of seedlings. The number of young white oak coming up in most areas of the woods far outnumber the white pine though. It changed from prairie/grassland many decades ago to black oak and jackpine. Now the jackpine are gone and the black oak are thinning so that it's changing to white oak/white pine forest.

Good morning screw loose. :cheese:

zap

zapny said:
Good morning screw loose. :cheese:

zap
HA zap! Yes, that's right! HAHA! And as further proof: 6°F at the moment. Coldest morning so far this season. Heading out into my woodsy office shortly with the top down on my ATV! Vroooom Vrooooom! HAHA!

quads said:
Backwoods Savage said:
Loggers around here won't give much for anything right now. Two more mills shut down.
They just announced that they are shutting a mill down to the north of me too. Laying off 450 people in a few months.

Our local mill, Newpage (formerly Mead Paper) filed for bankruptcy a few months ago. It would be a major blow to our area if it closed.

I talked with a pulp truck driver last week on my way to work who had a load of beech on his rig. I asked him where it was coming from. It was coming from up north and east of here, its all dying from some fungus or something. I asked where it was going, and he said Newpage. they had a contract for 5K cords at.... get this.... $110/cord !!! No wonder these mills are going out of business. They used to be paying about 1/2 that for hardwood pulp a few years ago.

You can still buy hardwood firewood here for about $75-$85/cord delivered from the logging companies, but not that beech. Beech is some awesome firewood.

It's been tough for the mills here as well . . . although the mills up in Millinocket/East Millinocket were purchased and restarted recently . . . folks there are also proceding with making something called "torified coal" or something to that effect . . . sounds like it is a coal product that is made out of wood that is supposedly cleaner than normal coal and used in Europe.

Pat53 said:
quads said:
Backwoods Savage said:
Loggers around here won't give much for anything right now. Two more mills shut down.
They just announced that they are shutting a mill down to the north of me too. Laying off 450 people in a few months.

Our local mill, Newpage (formerly Mead Paper) filed for bankruptcy a few months ago. It would be a major blow to our area if it closed.

I talked with a pulp truck driver last week on my way to work who had a load of beech on his rig. I asked him where it was coming from. It was coming from up north and east of here, its all dying from some fungus or something. I asked where it was going, and he said Newpage. they had a contract for 5K cords at.... get this.... $110/cord !!! No wonder these mills are going out of business. They used to be paying about 1/2 that for hardwood pulp a few years ago.

You can still buy hardwood firewood here for about $75-$85/cord delivered from the logging companies, but not that beech. Beech is some awesome firewood.
Yes, actually I think the mill that is closing over here is one of their mills.

Status
Not open for further replies.