1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Yup, just another day at the office.......I love it!

Post in 'The Wood Shed' started by quads, Dec 8, 2011.

1. quads

quads Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central Sands, Wisconsin
    Yes, in that area there are a few old white pine that produce a lot of seedlings. The number of young white oak coming up in most areas of the woods far outnumber the white pine though. It changed from prairie/grassland many decades ago to black oak and jackpine. Now the jackpine are gone and the black oak are thinning so that it's changing to white oak/white pine forest.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. thewoodlands

thewoodlands Minister of Fire

Good morning screw loose. :cheese:

zap
  3. quads

quads Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central Sands, Wisconsin
    HA zap! Yes, that's right! HAHA! And as further proof: 6°F at the moment. Coldest morning so far this season. Heading out into my woodsy office shortly with the top down on my ATV! Vroooom Vrooooom! HAHA!
  4. Pat53

Pat53 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    UP Mich
    Our local mill, Newpage (formerly Mead Paper) filed for bankruptcy a few months ago. It would be a major blow to our area if it closed.

I talked with a pulp truck driver last week on my way to work who had a load of beech on his rig. I asked him where it was coming from. It was coming from up north and east of here, its all dying from some fungus or something. I asked where it was going, and he said Newpage. they had a contract for 5K cords at.... get this.... $110/cord !!! No wonder these mills are going out of business. They used to be paying about 1/2 that for hardwood pulp a few years ago.

You can still buy hardwood firewood here for about $75-$85/cord delivered from the logging companies, but not that beech. Beech is some awesome firewood.
  5. firefighterjake

firefighterjake Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Unity/Bangor, Maine
    It's been tough for the mills here as well . . . although the mills up in Millinocket/East Millinocket were purchased and restarted recently . . . folks there are also proceding with making something called "torified coal" or something to that effect . . . sounds like it is a coal product that is made out of wood that is supposedly cleaner than normal coal and used in Europe.
  6. quads

quads Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central Sands, Wisconsin
    Yes, actually I think the mill that is closing over here is one of their mills.