ZC fireplace problem

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

stonington

Oct 3, 2013
Hi we had an RSF Opel 2 wood stove insert installed in our home during a major renovation six years ago. It has a blower system controlled by a thermostat. It has worked very well until last spring when we noticed that the front of the slate surround was extremely hot. This is more obvious on the top left where the ducting goes into the blower system. We have had the chimney cleaned and examined by camera, the gaskets replaced on the doors and no one seems to know what is wrong. The builder that installed it has retired and moved away. Do you have any suggestions? Stonington

Is this happening with the blower on? Is there good hot air coming out of the vents from the fireplace? I'm wondering if one of the hot air output ducts popped off or if its vent is closed.

PS: this is not really a wood stove or an insert, it's a nice zero clearance fireplace.

Is this happening with the blower on? Is there good hot air coming out of the vents from the fireplace? I'm wondering if one of the hot air output ducts popped off or if its vent is closed.

PS: this is not really a wood stove or an insert, it's a nice zero clearance fireplace.
thank you for responding. Yes it happens regardless of whether the blowers are on or not. There does seem to be good hot air coming out of the vents.

What is extremely hot? could you touch it?

No, we cannot touch it. That is how we noticed the problem. We used to lean on the top piece of slate to load in logs and now cannot touch it. It is hot all along the top of the fireplace, but especially on the left corner.

Your concern sounds valid. I hate to say this, but without seeing how the Opel was installed it is going to be hard to diagnose. This could require boring some inspection holes or opening up the back of the chase (if there is one).

i wonder where your builder purchased the unit, should be some dealer support for these situations!
as far as i know they only sell into protected dealership areas/thru dealers and not random wholesalers.

Your concern sounds valid. I hate to say this, but without seeing how the Opel was installed it is going to be hard to diagnose. This could require boring some inspection holes or opening up the back of the chase (if there is one).

There is no chace. The fireplace backs up to our porch fireplace. We are willing to remove the slate and mantle to get to the bottom of this but have been unable to find anyone with experience with installing the Opal 2. We have spent over $600.00 having the nearest dealer clean the chimney and put a camera up and down it. Then they replaced the gaskets but offered no other advice.

i wonder where your builder purchased the unit, should be some dealer support for these situations!
as far as i know they only sell into protected dealership areas/thru dealers and not random wholesalers.

unfortunately our builder is retired and moved away. He purchased the stove through a dealer in Ma. but then discovered that he had never installed an Opal 2 so he did not have him install it and had the installed by his men and the heating/cooling subcontractor. They did this in conjunction with the people in Canada that build the units.

Is the heating contractor still in business? If not, find a local stove shop that sells RSF units.

Status
Not open for further replies.