ZC fireplace ?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
ktm rider said:
Blue,
That is a beutiful setup.
+1. Blue has set a high benchmark on his ZC fireplace. One of my faves, that belongs in a magazine or brochure.

If I can add my 2 cents. You will have many choices when it comes to a ZC. As many members mentioned here the best way to go is to look at the EPA units if providing serious heat to the house is a requirement since they are very efficient. However, one of the drawback is they typically have a smaller fire box than a strictly 'decorative' unit. And since they are EPA, you must operate them with the door closed to operate efficiently. However, it's not much of a drawback since most of them are designed to look beautiful anyway.

If serious heat and means of distributing it is of concerns. Many units offer a power vent kit where it can push up warm air to a room as far away as 50ft on some models. Some can be hooked up to a thermostat to control the powervent and you can program it depending on which room you put the thermostat in. There are also 'gravity kit' if you want to turn off the built in blower for quietness sake or to extract as much heat as possible. This kit takes ambient air from the room, distributes it around the ZC and exhausts the warm air through natural convention in vents above the fireplace (same room) or through ducts in room above. So there's lots of options. Think of your ZC as a beautiful furnace!

Finally, when it comes to your venting. You will not be able to use your masonry chimney. You will require an certified HT2100 chimney. Some MFG limits which venting MFG you can use on their units which may affect the overall cost. Others are certified on just about any brands of venting so you can shop around for best pricing. BTW, venting may cost you as much as the unit itself! Finally, Some will vent on a 10" flue, others 8" and 6". Obviously the 6" is much less expensive. So if budget is an issue this may limit your choices.

If I can add a gratutious plug. You may also want to look at this brand. http://www.valcourtinc.com/

All the best! Let us know how it works out and remember, it did not happen if there is no pictures.

Status
Not open for further replies.