ZC insert question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

canoeman

Oct 23, 2009
SE PA
I have a Quadrafire 2700i that was dealer installed into an A42r heatilator. The a42 is from 2001, I assume it has the sl300 chimney. My dealer put a SS 316 liner into the chimney without insulation. I only discovered this forum after the install, and from what I have read it looks like insulation should have been used. My question --is this a really dangerous situation? The stove fires and drafts really well. Anyone else in my shoes?
Thanks

I would not be to worried as the chimney will never get close to either 1700 or 2100 degrees short of a massive chimney fire. I have a neighbor who had an insert installed in his ZC and it was lined sans insulation. We went into his attic while he had a big fire rolling and the outer wall of the air cooled chimney was not terribly hot. You could rest your hand on it with minimal discomfort. If you have access to a part of the chimney you could check it during a hot burn, if not just keep your exhaust pipe clean and I wouldn't be overly concerned. Although I'm unsure if it is code compliant or not in your area.

Thanks -- I am thinking I will have the chimney swept after this season and insulate if it is getting too dirty.

Canoeman, I've also got an A42 that I'm looking to put an insert in to. Are you happy with the heat output of the 2700i? I was looking at something a little bigger, primarily the Lopi Republic 1750i.

Karen

Haven't had a chance to fire it much as our weather is still not cold, but the few times I have burned it I was happy with the burn --very easy to operate and it does put out heat with the blower. Burn time is pretty short. My house is pretty big and my intention is to warm the room rather than the house. The firebox is small and the unit fits in the a42 easily.

Status
Not open for further replies.