zc safety: Lopi Revere vs. Heartstone Homestead

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

awitek

Feb 26, 2008
Ohio
I have a zero clearance firebox that is approximately 25 years old. Previous owners installed it and only burned wood. I'm looking to supplement my worthless heat pump when temps are below 32.
First chimney sweep said a zc box that old wasn't made to shelter the heat from a wood burning insert and recommended the Hearthstone Homestead stove model. My house is 1600 sq feet and this stove claims it can handle up to 1800 sq feet.
Second chimney sweep said either would be fine regardless of the age of the zc box and said an insert would throw more heat.
First fireplace shop I went to was very pro Lopi...more btus, better at heating a house. They didn't seem too concerned over the age of the firebox. They also said I would have to buy something that would heat at least 2,000 sq feet to adequately heat 1600 sq ft.
Second fireplace shop I went to was very pro soapstone...gentle heat, longer burn times. Since more heat is put out into the room and not against the firebox, the age of the firebox was not a question.
I know the efficiency of either is best of burned 24/7, but realistically, I'm only going to burn at night.
How much should the age/condition of the the zc firebox weigh into my decision?
How long should they last? At 25 years old, is it past its life expectancy?

We looked at the Lopi insert and the Homestead for install in our zero clearance. The Lopi did not seem to have a very big firebox. We went with the Homestead and are very pleased with it.

we had a Regency i1200 insert...I have 1329 sq ft all open. This insert would not do the job well enough for me.it was rated at 1000 ft, I just wanted to give some heat to the living room area....700 ft or so. We did return it, and went with the Hearthstone Homestead.....it is a out standing stove !! it easily heats all 1329 ft...we do have 21 ft ceilings, and the whole front of the house is glass. I also have an exterior chimney. So, I have had both " both new installs" and the hearthstone is twice the stove! I can not speak of the Lopi...I have heard good things about them, and almost went with one. The one thing you need to concider is, the soap stone takes longer to heat up, but once it does it will put out heat for a longer time. So, if you are only going to burn at night, you might lean toward the steel..."Lopi" but I would " now with my experience with both " recommend the hearthstone! it looks very nice, "and you do have to look at it all year" and it preforms GREAT !!

Status
Not open for further replies.