ZC Wood install - Help Please

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ole188

Feb 29, 2008
Illinois
I have been lurking the site for some time now learning everything I can from you good folks. I want to replace my piece of junk Majestic "Super Hearth" BR42. It is a 42" radiant no heat zero clearance insert. It sucks more heat out of the house than it puts into it. The wood framed exterior chimney chase is lined with drywall. The chase opening into my living room is 47" wide, 42" tall, and 23.5 inches deep measuring from the back wall which is insulated and covered with x type drywall. The only dimmesion that I cannot modify is the chase depth.

I would like to install a Quadrafire Northstar, I think it would work, but the unit would extend into the room an extra inch, inch and a half, because the rough framing dimension they suggest is 24". I think that if the unit sits an extra inch or two into the room all I will have to do is build out my decorative stone surround to fill the gap the finish to the face of the unit. From the measurements on the Northstar it think that I will still have plenty of clearance for the exhaust pipe in relation to the wall nearest the room. I think that I would also have to have a new chase cap made with the hole favoring one side by 1.5 inches. Any suggestions on what to do about this install or how to build out the surround ? I have talked to many dealers and some say no problem, and some say find a shallower unit. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks, Ole

Should be easy enough to extend out into the room. Sounds like you already know what your doing and just need to go ahead as planned.

Hi, your right about the majestic. I have never seen one that will heat any signifigant area. Been in hearth business 17 years. as long as you meet clearance to pipe all OK. maybe get some soldier stones and just frame the new unit. JIM

You can do it. You will need to offset back with a 30 deg elbow right off the top and probably cut some of the wall out and reframe it forward to be flush with the new unit. There is only enough room for a 2x4 from the front of the unit to meet clearances to the pipe exiting the top. The rest of the wall could be furred out to match.

Thanks JTP 10181, How far back will that 30 elbow shift the pipe back? Also the chimney is going to be 26' will I need additional support seeing as it will now be offset?

You can put various pieces in between the 30 elbow set to make it any distance you want. If you need it shorter you could use a 15 deg offset. If you download the manual from Heat & Glo it should have an offset table in it. The offset kit has one elbow with support straps on it so all you have to do is screw them into some framing to hold up the pipe system.

Status
Not open for further replies.