Zero Clearance Efficiency

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Beer_$$$

Jan 21, 2016
Wisconsin
Hoping you guys can help me out. Currently I have a pre-fab zero clearance fireplace (the decorative type with sliding glass doors). Recently I went to a few different fireplace stores to explore options for better efficiency.

Rather than just slide in an insert to the pre-fab unit, I'm considering replacing the current unit with a zero clearance high efficiency fireplace (Enerzone 2.5zc to be exact). Can I expect to reasonably heat more than just the room where this fireplace is located? The sales guy is telling me I should be able to heat my house (1900 sq ft). I'm doubting that but looking for honest input.

I've been a long time reader on this forum, but first time posting. I understand that going with a wood stove instead of the high efficiency fireplace would be the best option, however it will not work for me.

Yes, there should be a notable improvement in heating with a corresponding drop in wood consumption. Another option for even greater efficiency would be removing the fireplace and replacing it with a freestanding stove on a nice hearth.

Reactions: Beer_$$$
The sales guy is telling me I should be able to heat my house (1900 sq ft). I'm doubting that but looking for honest input.
that depends on the layout and construction of your house. But i think 1900 would be pushing that unit pretty hard. But yes it will put out allot of useable heat and will help to heat the house allot

Reactions: Beer_$$$
Unfortunately a free standing stove won't work for my situation.

The house is a 2 story, sort of a soap box with a kitchen, dining room and living room (with stairwell upstairs) on the first floor and a few bedrooms upstairs. My plan was to install the Enerzone 2.5zc in the living room with the optional blower into the finished basement. This way I could regulate where I want the heat to go depending on which room I'm in. I was hoping given the layout and with heat rising I could use this as a primary heat source and turn on my furnace fan?

My other question is how much wood will I be using given the sq footage? For example, how often will filling the firebox last on an average 20 degree Wisconsin winter day? I have quality hardwood, with a seasoned moisture content.

Heating the basement with the fireplace is going to have some benefit if the basement is fully insulated. But this will take heat that could be been perhaps better used to heat the main living area. Wisconsin is cold in the winter. I wouldn't depend on the central furnace for heat distribution unless all the ductwork is sealed, well insulated and within the heated envelope of the house. Otherwise heat loss may negate the circulation benefits.

Status
Not open for further replies.