Zero clearance fireplace box question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chrism

Feeling the Heat
Oct 8, 2009
Eastern PA
i have a zero clearance fireplace that i'm ripping out. i was going to close the wall up but i saw online some guys tile the alcove and slide the wood stove where the zero clearance fireplace was. Any suggestions or guidance for possibly doing this .Thanks

Chrism said:
i have a zero clearance fireplace that i'm ripping out. i was going to close the wall up but i saw online some guys tile the alcove and slide the wood stove where the zero clearance fireplace was. Any suggestions or guidance for possibly doing this .Thanks

What show did you see that on, I may want to check it out.

Zero clearance to combustible materials in that video.

Looks potentially dangerous to me.......... ;-)

woodchip said:
Zero clearance to combustible materials in that video.

Looks potentially dangerous to me.......... ;-)

I agree.

Rear clearance on the Country Performer is about 8". Looks like no cement board behind the tile either. I've seen better installations.

I pulled my zero clearance fireplace. Remaining was a void in the partition that was 48" wide and almost 38" high. I lined the edge of the void with a metal heat shield. A single layer of sheet metal closed the void. Then I rear vented my stove through the sheet metal wall and up the chase left by the zero clearance. Every thing inside the marble fireplace surround is painted flat black. This renders all the details invisible.

My avatar is a picture of the installation. Better pictures of the whole process will follow when the finish work is done.

i am thinking of putting my isle royal in but the clearance to the right and left of the stove is 29 inches so the width of the alcove would be 7.25 ft thats just too wide it will take up half my wall!! so much for putting it in the alcove to save some space.

Status
Not open for further replies.