Zero clearance fireplace chimney

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gray

Jan 15, 2015
Michigan
I have to install a country flame Ingelnook fireplace in an existing living room that has a class A chimney serving a wood stove. Due to exterior esthetics the owner and I would much prefer to use this chimney ( large major part of homes looks). Has anyone had good outcomes using a transition thimble from metalbestos to tile lined class A masonry chimney? If yes- or no, describe? Thanks

What do you mean class a masonry chimney?

Welcome to the forum!

Sorry, I am a bit confused. What is a tile lined class A masonry chimney? Is it now masonry or a class A steel pipe chimney? If masonry how many flues are in there? The stove and the fireplace will need separate ones. Page 39 of the manual lists the approved chimney types/makes; are you using any of those? I don't see that venting in a masonry chimney is approved; have you talked to the manufacturer about it?

What do you mean class a masonry chimney?
It is a solid fuel rated tile lined block masonry chimney.
I am removing the old Franklin style wood stove and framing in the zero clearance Ingelnook unit. I hope to be able to link the class A metalbestos chimney to this existing chimney with good results?

I am pulling the old Franklin stove and installing the zero clearance Ingelnook fireplace and hope to use the
Ceramic tile lined block all fuel chimney rather than destroying this chimney and its looks- it is in great shape inside and out.

if you line the masonry chimney mayby what stove are you venting into it?

It is a solid fuel rated tile lined block masonry chimney.
I am removing the old Franklin style wood stove and framing in the zero clearance Ingelnook unit. I hope to be able to link the class A metalbestos chimney to this existing chimney with good results?

You will need to check with the manufacturer and your local code authority if that is acceptable for this unit or you may get into trouble with the home insurance. What are the inner dimensions of the tile liner?

Welcome to the forum!

Sorry, I am a bit confused. What is a tile lined class A masonry chimney? Is it now masonry or a class A steel pipe chimney? If masonry how many flues are in there? The stove and the fireplace will need separate ones. Page 39 of the manual lists the approved chimney types/makes; are you using any of those? I don't see that venting in a masonry chimney is approved; have you talked to the manufacturer about it?
The Chimney is ceramic tile lined- approved for all fuel- wood, coal, gas. I will remove the old stove. Your right It is approve for metal class A insulated or air cooled metal but then not using this existing chimney will be a huge issue. I would think that this chimney being safe for wood and in great shape would not pose a safety issue but may be some other issue?

I don't tink so Lucy. These units are designed for metal flue and no larger than a 30deg elbow is allowed in the chimney pipe. It might be worth the owner reconsidering and maybe choosing a very classy stove with a big fireview as a replacement for the current unit.

I don't tink so Lucy. These units are designed for metal flue and no larger than a 30deg elbow is allowed in the chimney pipe. It might be worth the owner reconsidering and maybe choosing a very classy stove with a big fireview as a replacement for the current unit.
I don't think that would be selected:(. I will be tearing a good chimney apart if that is the only option.

You will need to check with the manufacturer and your local code authority if that is acceptable for this unit or you may get into trouble with the home insurance. What are the inner dimensions of the tile liner?
The l ER is 7.25 x10.25"

yeah it cant happen sorry

Status
Not open for further replies.