Zero Clearance Fireplace Decision Help

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TSR

Jan 14, 2014
Kentucky
Hello to all.

I am in process of building a new home and due to space limitations, a Zero Clearance wood burning fireplace is the option I am going with. I have narrowed it down to three units, which I know are all similiar but slightly different. 1)Quadrafire 7100 2)Heatilator Constitution 3)Heat n Glo Northstar

The Quadrfire does offer a larger 3.4 cu. ft. interior capacity and some different technology including ACC (automatic combustion control) and QuadBurn 4x. It's my understanding the ACC is mechanical so it would still work in the event of a power outtage.

My thinking is the Quadrafire offer more technology and capacity, but it seems like the Northstar is a proven performer. I don't know much about the Constitution except that it seems practically identical to the northstar but IMO looks much better. Too many darn choices and I would like to hear some opinions and possibly feedback from people that have these units. If you respond with info on the 7100, please clarify what year yours is because as I understand it the model has chanced a couple years ago.

Looking forward to hearing feedback and thank you in advance!

I don't know these exact units but just to clarify, all combustion controls should be mechanical. I don't know of any that are electric. Only the blower is electric.

I understand your confusion. It seems they make so many models and choices just to confuse everyone.

I like everything i read about the quad 7100 better EXCEPT that fact that it does not appear there is a manual damper adjustment. Your turn on the mechanical ACC timer and over the next 20mins or so it dampers it down to a set level and that's it. I'm not sure where it leave the damper positioned or if i'd ever want to try to damper it lower or not but it seems it would be nice to be able to manually adjust it. Darn,... Larger firebox, quad burn, nicer looking but no manual damper.

I think it would help me decide if I could hear some feedback from owners of these three models for real user experiences.

i have not seen that particular quad but on all of them that i have worked with that had the auto timer you could always over ride it manually. i actually prefer regency stoves over quads now they are very similar but regencies are a little easier to work on i would check them out to

Status
Not open for further replies.