Zero-Clearance Fireplace Installation Question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lumbajac

Mar 15, 2008
Upper Peninsula, Michigan
I'm in the process of installing an RSF Opel3 zero-clearance fireplace in my new home. I have sheetrocked the interior of the cavity in which the fireplace will sit with 5/8" fire-rated drywall per our mechanical inspectors request (can't find this in the codebook, but I am going to honor his request).

Now, I am wondering if I should install Durarock cement board on the floor of the cavity for the unit to sit on versus just sitting on the OSB. I currently have the unit sitting directly on the OSB with the required spark guard sheet metal flashing in place. Installing the Durarock would require me to pull the unit out of the cavity and custom cut a sheet of Durarock to fit in.

Any thoughts?

There is absolutely no reason to install durock it is fine on osb its a zc unit nothing else has to be done to meet code unless local code specifies otherwise

There is absolutely nothing in the codebooks. However, to avoid potential issues with inspections, today I installed 1/4" Hardibacker cement board on the floor; 5/8" firecode drywall on all walls and anything exposed in the fireplace cavity and chimney chase. I also firetaped the whole assembly. Done deal now.

Status
Not open for further replies.