Zero clearance fireplace temps

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wbdisco

Nov 14, 2015
Tennessee
Haven't really found much info on this stuff. I have a RSF opel 2. My little book that came with it says nothing about temps of the fireplace. I bought a little stove thermometer that I stuck behind the top louver on the collar to read temps but they probably aren't that accurate. The only thing that my manual mentions is if the collar right above the stove behind the louver glows red you have over fired, pretty vague If you ask me. I called rsf and the lady said there really wasn't a way to measure stove temps, but to just keep the fire where I feel comfortable.

I haven't gotten a good overnight burn yet, mainly because I probably haven't put enough wood in, but without being able to know the temps of the stove I feel like I am just guessing. Any help or advice from other zero clearance guys? Thanks

Brad

See what you read on the thermometer at that location. An inexpensive laser thermometer can also be used. Just point it to the area in front of the flue collar.

What would be a good temp though? I have had it up to 700 on some hickory with the air control closed, but mainly around 500-550. I just didn't know how accurate it would be. Not really a good place to read temps I guess. Also since the pipe is stainless, the magnet doesn't work so I just sort of propped it up in there.

Yeah, it's a challenge on a ZC fireplace. I would guess that's in the expected range for the flue collar area. It should settle down to a cruising temp once the air has been shut down. A laser reading off the stove door would be another data point.

Status
Not open for further replies.