1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Zero Clearance Fireplace

Post in 'It's a Gas!' started by means83, Jan 21, 2011.

  1. means83

    means83 New Member

    Joined:
    Jan 21, 2011
    Messages:
    2
    Loc:
    New England
    I just purchased my first home a few weeks ago and the previous owner installed a zero clearance fireplace in the living room. Other than being able to turn it on, I know nothing about these things. The fireplace is really nice, and I enjoy using it, but I would like to be educated, specifically on safety before I feel comfortable putting it on regularly.

    Since their is no exhaust to the outside of the house and it burns the oxygen in the room, how much of a concern should that be? Is Carbon Monoxide something I should worry about?? I've read about moisture, fogging up windows, and moisture causing mold to form in carpets. I have hard wood floors, does this minimize my concerns about moisture? In the handful of times that I've turned it on, I only leave it running for 45 mins to an hour, then turn it off. If it's used sparingly like that, would moisture form in that short of an amount of time? I hadn't noticed any previously. Is their any other negatives I should be aware of? What do I need to do to clean it?

    Thanks!

    Helpful Sponsor Ads!





  2. Fsappo

    Fsappo New Member

    Joined:
    Apr 9, 2008
    Messages:
    3,551
    Loc:
    Central NY
    Smartest thing to do is to bite the bullet, cough up a few bucks and have your local hearth shop come check it out. If you have a decent shop near you, they will come and look the fireplace over, make sure its safe, and spend some time educating you on usage, safety, cleaning, etc.
  3. Install fire 1

    Install fire 1 Member

    Joined:
    Dec 5, 2010
    Messages:
    159
    Loc:
    Canada.
    Agree 100% with franks!
  4. means83

    means83 New Member

    Joined:
    Jan 21, 2011
    Messages:
    2
    Loc:
    New England
    Sounds like good advice. I figured I'd start with the internet and if i wasnt satisfied after my search, I'd take the next step and bring someone in to look at it
  5. webbie

    webbie Seasoned Moderator Staff Member

    Joined:
    Nov 17, 2005
    Messages:
    12,287
    Loc:
    Western Mass.
    It sounds like you have a vent free fireplace - that would usually mean gas and no glass doors.
    Use of the sort you mention would not present any moisture problems.....

    Negatives? Some people are very sensitive to the small odors or to the oxygen which is used up by a vent-free.
    You must make certain everything is clean and also that the log set and grate are set exactly as it states in the manual. If not, the units can produce soot!

    Look carefully around the room - wipe some areas like the mantel above with a white cloth and see if you notice any black. This would usually indicate that something, usually the log placement, is off.

Share This Page