Not open for further replies.
  1. Village Idiot

Village Idiot
    Burning Hunk 2.
    NULL

Sep 10, 2011
    Loc:
    No. Va.
    Wow, your fireplace is beautiful and I love the mantle. What kind of wood is it? Did you make it yourself?

The FPX 44 was on my short list of fireplaces. I am curious. Do the handles stay cool when you have a good burn going?

2. Got Wood

Got Wood
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Oct 22, 2008
    Loc:
    Dutchess Cty, NY
    Thank you! I posted a picture around xmas time in the Perfect Picture forum here - shows the mantel a little better
    http://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/66964/

The mantle is walnut. about 5" thick. I had it cut to size, then my wife and I hand sanded it, removed the bark but kept the edge under the bark in its natural form. Gives a real nice rustic look. We braced it on top and bottom (over kill) with angle iron(not sure if thats the official word for it) - I could hang from it and it wont move.

You can use the handles with bare hands but need to be careful not to touch anything else nearby. I usually put on welder gloves when loading (having learned the hard way.... sooner or later if you work it with bare hands/arms your gonna touch the door and get a burn mark).

3. Village Idiot

Village Idiot
    Burning Hunk 2.
    NULL

Sep 10, 2011
    Loc:
    No. Va.
    I hear you. I am fully expecting to be sporting a few stove brands by springtime. Last summer I managed to press my shin to my smoker and that mark is finally just about faded.

4. Mastoo

Mastoo
    Member 2.
    NULL

Oct 8, 2011
    Loc:
    MO
    After the glass replacement the gasket also seals nicely and the installer filed a hinge slightly so it works smoothly. Nicely handled under warranty. So after a few fires now I'll say, wow this thing puts out some heat. I have a question about the air wash, but I'll put that on another thread...

5. Mt Ski Bum

Mt Ski Bum
    Member 2.
    NULL

Feb 23, 2011
    Loc:
    Big Sky, Montana
    I've seen multiple posi-pressure/air-cooled chimney FPX installations around here, & they all work great in our unforgiving winters.

For a while this spring, FPX was talking about coming out with a non-posipressure version of the Model 36... it was supposed to come out sometime around July... don't know what ever happened to it...

6. Blue2ndaries

Blue2ndaries
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Oct 17, 2011
    Loc:
    Oregon
    Hi velvetfoot and welcome. I am on my 3rd year of heating w/our Quadrafire 7100fp (ZC fireplace). I posted an intro and pics of our setup here:
    http://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/81729/

We are able to heat our 2900sqft, 1 level home it it wuite comfortably. There is really nothing like heating w/wood. Good luck!

7. Blue2ndaries

Blue2ndaries
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Oct 17, 2011
    Loc:
    Oregon
    Edit: Our unit was installed w/SL300 pipe. Also, the refractory bricks are replaceable in the 7100FP. I had to replace one, under warranty, that had cracked.

Edit 2: I said "welcome" to you velvetfoot then realized you had 3100+ posts, hah! Sorry 'bout that, it's obvious who the newb is here... :red:

Attached Files:

8. velvetfoot

velvetfoot
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Dec 5, 2005
    Loc:
    Sand Lake, NY
    Wow, that is one beautiful hearth!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.