1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

Zero Clearance Fireplace?

Post in 'The Hearth Room - Wood Stoves and Fireplaces' started by velvetfoot, Oct 4, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Village Idiot

Village Idiot Burning Hunk

Loc:
    No. Va.
    Wow, your fireplace is beautiful and I love the mantle. What kind of wood is it? Did you make it yourself?

The FPX 44 was on my short list of fireplaces. I am curious. Do the handles stay cool when you have a good burn going?

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Got Wood

Got Wood Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Dutchess Cty, NY
    Thank you! I posted a picture around xmas time in the Perfect Picture forum here - shows the mantel a little better
    http://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/66964/

The mantle is walnut. about 5" thick. I had it cut to size, then my wife and I hand sanded it, removed the bark but kept the edge under the bark in its natural form. Gives a real nice rustic look. We braced it on top and bottom (over kill) with angle iron(not sure if thats the official word for it) - I could hang from it and it wont move.

You can use the handles with bare hands but need to be careful not to touch anything else nearby. I usually put on welder gloves when loading (having learned the hard way.... sooner or later if you work it with bare hands/arms your gonna touch the door and get a burn mark).
  3. Village Idiot

Village Idiot Burning Hunk

Loc:
    No. Va.
    I hear you. I am fully expecting to be sporting a few stove brands by springtime. Last summer I managed to press my shin to my smoker and that mark is finally just about faded.
  4. Mastoo

Mastoo Member

Loc:
    MO
    After the glass replacement the gasket also seals nicely and the installer filed a hinge slightly so it works smoothly. Nicely handled under warranty. So after a few fires now I'll say, wow this thing puts out some heat. I have a question about the air wash, but I'll put that on another thread...
  5. Mt Ski Bum

Mt Ski Bum Member

Loc:
    Big Sky, Montana
    I've seen multiple posi-pressure/air-cooled chimney FPX installations around here, & they all work great in our unforgiving winters.

For a while this spring, FPX was talking about coming out with a non-posipressure version of the Model 36... it was supposed to come out sometime around July... don't know what ever happened to it...
  6. Blue2ndaries

Blue2ndaries Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Oregon
    Hi velvetfoot and welcome. I am on my 3rd year of heating w/our Quadrafire 7100fp (ZC fireplace). I posted an intro and pics of our setup here:
    http://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/81729/

We are able to heat our 2900sqft, 1 level home it it wuite comfortably. There is really nothing like heating w/wood. Good luck!
  7. Blue2ndaries

Blue2ndaries Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Oregon
    Edit: Our unit was installed w/SL300 pipe. Also, the refractory bricks are replaceable in the 7100FP. I had to replace one, under warranty, that had cracked.

Edit 2: I said "welcome" to you velvetfoot then realized you had 3100+ posts, hah! Sorry 'bout that, it's obvious who the newb is here... :red:

Attached Files:

8. velvetfoot

velvetfoot Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Sand Lake, NY
    Wow, that is one beautiful hearth!
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.