Zero Clearance fireplaces that use 8 inch pipe?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

trekker

Jan 8, 2008
NW Ohio
I'm in the market for a new heat source, and decided to go with a ZC unit. My current fireplace uses an 8" pipe. Trying to keep the initial investment as low as possible, I'd like to avoid installing a liner. So, my question is: What ZC high Eff. units use an 8 inch pipe. So far, I've found the Quadrafire 7100 uses an 8" inch pipe. Anyone know of others?

Thanks.

I belive some of the Vermont Castings do

STOVEGUY11 said:
I belive some of the Vermont Castings do

The VC Sequoia does/did, anyway. I was looking at it because it used the same 8-in chimney as my prefab Majestic. (Both are CFM; usually ZC units require their own brand of chimney.) First I'll see if VC still exists in a couple years.

I have been looking at this a lot recently. I suspect the chances of the fireplace pipe that you have being up to code for a new ZC unit are slim and none and Slim just left.

What is your current setup? If it is not a high efficiency unit, it is probably not rated at 2100 degrees and your options may be fish an appropriate liner or replace the chimney.

In addition, to meet code, you need to follow the mfg specs which will indicate what chimney you must use.

All of the fireplaces I have seen (I am not claiming to have seen them all) spec a solid chimney, whereas inserts allow for flex pipe, for obvious retrofit reasons. Of course, in some number of cases (like mine) your currect fireplace may say that inserts cannot be used.

Replacing the chimney on an older pre-fab heatilator "builder's box" is what I have in store for myself, so if you are in this boat, I feel your pain. To add to it, I have only been able to find a short list of high-efficiency fireplaces that will fit in my space (i.e. Lennox Villa Vist or Brentwood/BIS Ultima) and they require a ASHT chimney in my northern climate (not cheap!).

I am not sure about stoves, because I do not want one given my layout.

Hopefully, others more knowledgeable than I will pipe in for you.

Good luck,
Pete

The 7100 uses an 8" pipe true, but it must be SL300 or DuraPlus so unless that's what you have in place already the entire system would have to be replaced.

Well, the current fireplace is a Heatilator EC42. The owners manual doesn't really say what kind of pipe it has. The stove was installed about 6 years ago when the house was built. My plan is to rip out the old one, and build around the new ZC unit using the same pipe I have if acceptable. I'll e mail Heatilator, and see if they can tell me.

Pook said:
inefficient fireplace? vs new efficient unit?
if so
i'd consider reducing to 6"

You don't know what you are talking about. He is looking at built in units. Most of them require a specific type of 8" pipe depending on the mfg.

jtp10181 said:
Pook said:
if so

You don't know what you are talking about. He is looking at built in units. Most of them require a specific type of 8" pipe depending on the mfg.

Actually, I would say that the mfg specifies what diameter you must use. I am looking at two right now that spec 6" and 7" class A chimneys.

Pete

PeteD said:
jtp10181 said:
Pook said:
if so

Actually, I would say that the mfg specifies what diameter you must use. I am looking at two right now that spec 6" and 7" class A chimneys.

Pete

Some do, most specify the exact types of pipe they are tested with.

Status
Not open for further replies.