Zero clearance fp stove install?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

zrtmatos

Feeling the Heat
Nov 26, 2012
Connecticut
I have a zero clearance fp that I would like to install a free standing ps in. I see a 6 inch flue. Would it be best to use a 3 or 4 inch flexible liner to go from exit of chimney down to a tee-piece connection at back of stove or can I just place a horizontal pellet stove chimney pipe going straight thru fp back wall to the outside? I know this would create an unusable fp but we really aren't using it much.
The ps would be sitting outside the fireplace on a non combustible pad. Ideas?

Pictures would help as well as the size of your house, how much of it you want to heat, how well it's insulated, etc if youre looking for stove suggestions.

The size of the liner depends on the height of the chimney.

What youre saying sounds feasible but youll have to look at installation manuals for stoves youre looking at to check for clearances, distance to combustible, and thickness of the pad.

I have a quadrafire CB 1200i installed in a zero clearance fireplace

You can not use wood stove pipe from the pellet stove to the chimney, you also can not use pipe that is rated for gas stoves.

The exhaust pipe must be PL or L rated for pellet stoves in either 3" or 4" with an increaser to the opening of the chimney, it must all be sealed tight so there are no leaks. This info can be found in the manual under installation for the stove into a chimney.

Thanks for the replies. Has anyone ever placed a straight horizontal exhaust through the back of an installed chimney? I think I can also install flexible 4 inch type L pellet chimney pipe in through the existing 6 inch chimney pipe and cap off on the top of the chimney. I know I would have to seal off the existing damper on the entrance to the chimney. Thanks for any ideas.

I want to add some information on the questions asked. The zcp is a Majestic wood burning type with no doors or blower. Looks like it measures to be 36 inches wide and not very deep. There is an 18 inch non-combustable hearth area in front of fireplace. How can I add in a wood burning stove or insert or pellet stove or insert. I like the idea of a cb1200i.

I was in a similar situation with my set up, only i have an 8" double wall SS insulated chimney. I ran 4" SS flex down the chimney with the oak line as well. I transitioned from the flex to a clean it tee behind the stove and hooked up the oak. Now the exhaust pre heats the oak. The stove sticks out of the zcf and i have bricks under the front levelers. Long term i am going to order the legs from the manufacture for the front of the stove for appearance.

To install the CB 1200i in my zero clearance I ran a 4" liner up the full length of the chimney. The floor was cutout of the fireplace along with removing the firebrand, doors, smoke baffle, etc. All that was left was a metal box. The floor under the fireplace was plywood and I had a 1" height difference between the plywood and my stone hearth. I put 2 pieces of cement board over the plywood to bring the level up to the hearth, then installed a quadra fire floor protector designed for the cb 1200i. The stove went on top of the floor protectorn connected the liner and installed the surround. The installation manual for the cb is pretty clear about what to do. I have a thread somewhere on here talking about the floor protwctor that have some pictures of my firebox after all the work was done.

I have a Lopi Leyden sitting in front of my prefab on a hearth pad extension. 4" Venting out the back into the firebox is: Stove Adapter --> 12" Horizontal --> T w/ Cleanout -->Flex Liner Adapter --> ~25 feet Forever Flex Liner to the top and capped off.

Get natural draft and can get behind the stove for maintenance and to clean out the T. Original Fireplace not touched and still functional in case ever sell the house. I found this better than an insert.
IMG_0306.jpg IMG_0307.jpg

Reactions: zrtmatos
You can definately go that route, just need to find a stove that will let you install as a built in. Harman makes a built in box you need if you go with a harman, you can instal quads as a built in with certain clearances to combustible and some extra parts, and I know the environment can be installed as one as well. You should take a loom at the install manuals as they explain exactly what the requirements are.

Status
Not open for further replies.