Zero Clearance insert (specific model) questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Check out this insert: Enviro Kodiak 1700

http://enviro-fire.com/fireplace-products/wood/fireplace-insert.html

Based on all the dimensions the 1700 insert should fit the smaller heatilators (like mine e-39), and the most problematic measurement for me was the location of the flue cut out for the chimney pipe/liner.

I could find a fair amount of inserts that would fit, but getting one that would fit and have the flue pipe locations match up was tough. The heatilator has a flue center of 14 1/2 inches from front face of fireplace, and most inserts were about 9 or 10 from the front. No way to fit an offset adapter up there if your going as big as possible cause clearance is too small on the top.

This appears to be dead bones on with the heatilator. It has a 2.5 cu ft firebox, 74,000 btu's, 75% efficient. It also has the abitlity to attatch the take off collar from the inside of the insert for really tight installs (like mine).

Good luck and happy hunting

kd460 said:
Check out this insert: Enviro Kodiak 1700

Interesting insert. A lot of BTU's and still able to fit into a prefab. The fan arrangement is interesting. It's in the back for a freestanding unit, but in the left side shroud for the insert model. I wonder if you could install a second fan on the right side shroud to force air out the top like with the free standing unit. I find with my insert that the hottest part of the stove is the top plate, so that is where most of the heat likely comes from (and then the back plate). This is probably doubly true with a stove with fire brick (mine has none). Two fans would also allow you to run them at a lower speed for the same air movement. This might be a LOT quieter. Fan noise can be an irritation. Of course, Pacific Energy stoves have only one side mounted fan and they seem to do ok. I've only heard one person complain about the air flow path.

I think I'd miss the ash pan, but it looks like a pretty cool (warm :) unit. The BTU's may also be a bit fudged, but most are.

Jonas (a poster who's been silent for a couple months) sold Enviro pellet stoves and loved them for their high quality. He said he expected the same quality for this new line of Enviro wood stoves. I think they've only been made for a year or two, so there is probably not a lot of customer feedback on them yet.

Again, it's impressive to me that they can get a stove with so many BTU's to install in a prefab fireplace. That's probably a BIG step up in efficiency. Let us know if you get one.

It looks like it was made for the smaller heatilators. I have checked the dimensions closely with the insert dimenesions and the heatilator dimensions. Seems like a dead ringer.

Looks like I am gonna go with this one. I'm not to excited about the diamond pattern, but it's not all that bad looking either. I've seen worse.

Interesting thought on the dual blowers. Got me thinking...

So, it looks like I am gonna be the guinea pig, I'll gladly show pics and share my installation here. KD

Status
Not open for further replies.