Zero clearance questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fire ring

Nov 10, 2015
Greenwood Delaware
Hello forgive me in advance for a long first post.
I've been researching for the last month or so about supplementing my brand new yet useless under 32f heat pump. Cost me approximately 500 per month all winter to heat a 2400 sqft L shaped single floor, and still didn't feel warm.
My original idea was too buy a ZC insert draw the heat up with my ceiling fans and circulate with my hvac fan ( cathedral ceiling in the living room 16x25 room I had the return duct installed in the inner gable wall of the living room since heat rises)
So my concerns are after doing a lot of reading on
here that my circulation theory isnr correct every one started that it cools the air down through the ducts. Also my only local dealer offers xtrodinaire, vancourt, and only one model of cozy heat. I'm almost bound to then as they offer financing and I don't quite have enough cash to do this outright. So I love the idea of the ZC for heat and ambiance but is it really worth the 4k+ that it'll cost me? I can get wood at a very decent deal. Almost free as my uncle owns a tree trimming buisness. So that is one major advantage for this.
If this is a solid secondary heating idea how do I properly circulate the heat?
Thanks in advance

If the floorplan is open then a ceiling fan may suffice. For savings maybe consider a freestanding stove instead?

Welcome Fire Ring.

I have researched ZC fireplaces as well and I am attaching a specs sheet to compare a number of models in a single snapshot.

One other option is to purchase the zero clearance fireplace through an online retailer and then have a general contractor install the unit (unless you can do it yourself, unlike me!). Other members on Hearth.com say they saved thousands of dollars online - even when you factor in the shipping costs. One dealer mentioned a lot is woodstoves.net, but there are plenty of other dealers as well.

I hope this helps,
Matt

ZC Wood Stoves Specs Sheet.jpg

I have an 1800sq ft ranch with not the best layout for heating. Family room kitchen is open layout and cathedral ceilings. The fireplace is facing the opposite direction of the bedrooms. Typically the living room is 75 and the back master bedroom is about 70. If I need to circulate a little more heat to the back bedroom I stick a box fan in there and point it down the hall towards the stove.

Reactions: Fire ring
BTW I have a fireplace xtrordinair 36 elite. It puts out heat like a furnace. If you have any questions on it in particular I did the install myself, and would be happy to help.

Awesome! That's the one the dealer recommended. Do you feel that unit would heat 2200-2400 sqft?
I don't think it would have a problem. I don't even really have to push it and I can have the main living room and kitchen area up in the high 70's, and the back bedrooms in the low to mid 70's. I normally don't even turn up the blower from its lowest setting.

Also. Does it put off any radiant heat with the blower off? As if in a power outage all I read that they don't
It does put off some radiant heat, you can feel it coming out of the top vent before the blower kicks on, but the manual does say something about only burning small fires if your not using the blower.

I also have a heat pump, and while they are great heaters, as much as they like to advertise them as fine down to 10F these days, they are grossly inefficient at those temps. I've taken some measurements with mine, at 50 outside, 70 inside, heat pump will put out 98 air. At 40 outside it'll put out 92 air. Still ok.At 30 outside, it'll put out 84 degree air, at 20 outside, it'll put out 72 degree air. So, it drops off dramatically below 40, which is usually where my set point is for the gas furnace to take over. Here in MI, the heat pump is relegated to basically shoulder season heating. Of course if I'm home, and it's below freezing or so, the North Star is doing the bulk of the heating duty and it heats my 2400sq house with 28' ceilings with no problems down to about 10 to 12F. Below that I have to supplement with gas or load every couple hours to keep it a max output.

Reactions: Fire ring
I also have a heat pump, and while they are great heaters, as much as they like to advertise them as fine down to 10F these days, they are grossly inefficient at those temps. I've taken some measurements with mine, at 50 outside, 70 inside, heat pump will put out 98 air. At 40 outside it'll put out 92 air. Still ok.At 30 outside, it'll put out 84 degree air, at 20 outside, it'll put out 72 degree air. So, it drops off dramatically below 40, which is usually where my set point is for the gas furnace to take over. Here in MI, the heat pump is relegated to basically shoulder season heating. Of course if I'm home, and it's below freezing or so, the North Star is doing the bulk of the heating duty and it heats my 2400sq house with 28' ceilings with no problems down to about 10 to 12F. Below that I have to supplement with gas or load every couple hours to keep it a max output.

My heat pump has 15k kw heat strips as my back up heat. Last year was my first winter in this remodel, took my standard $200 electric bill to $500 and beyond. So to me that difference should be we'll invested in a fireplace to supplement and possibly even get below 200 if I used it more that just below 32f

Status
Not open for further replies.