Zero Clearance to Insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

srussell1021

Aug 3, 2015
Baltimore
Hey everyone. So I have posted about this question/issue before but not a lot could be done due to me not having make/model of my current fireplace which in turn yields measurements, safety requirements, etc, etc. However I finally found the make/model of my current zero clearance wood burning fireplace (tag was basically right in front of my face) and I was hoping to get some information, opinion, and insight because it seems like this is the premier place on the internet to go to. I currently have a Superior (apparently now Lennox) SP38A zero clearance fireplace. I wish to upgrade to a wood burning insert if possible. I know sometimes code, UL listings, and specs sometimes can prohibit that but I have also heard there are some manufacturers and dealers who specialize in zero clearance to insert installs. My backup option is installing a pellet insert but I am a sucker for wood since that's what I grew up on for 20+ years on my parents farm and I feel comfortable and more experienced with wood and I believe nothing beats it. Let me know your thoughts. Thanks.

Call the fireplace manufacturer and ask them they are the only ones that have the authority to tell you it is ok to put an insert in their fireplace. I will tell you that i have never seen a superior fireplace that allowed it. The only ones i have seen are a few of the newer heatilators. Yes there are inserts out there that say you can do it. But with out the blessing of the fireplace manufacturer it voids the ul listing of that fireplace and once that fire place is no longer listed you can not put an insert in it. I know there are installers out there that do it all the time and if you find one that will the liability falls on them not you but do you want to take the risk on an untested and un approved install?

Call the fireplace manufacturer and ask them they are the only ones that have the authority to tell you it is ok to put an insert in their fireplace. I will tell you that i have never seen a superior fireplace that allowed it. The only ones i have seen are a few of the newer heatilators. Yes there are inserts out there that say you can do it. But with out the blessing of the fireplace manufacturer it voids the ul listing of that fireplace and once that fire place is no longer listed you can not put an insert in it. I know there are installers out there that do it all the time and if you find one that will the liability falls on them not you but do you want to take the risk on an untested and un approved install?

Ok thanks for the help. You're the one that helped me previously, couldn't have solved these issues without you. When you say the blessing of the manufacturer what exactly do you mean? Like it won't pass a code/inspection and if my house burns down from it insurance won't cover?

Like it won't pass a code/inspection and if my house burns down from it insurance won't cover?
That depends if the inspecter knows what they are looking at or not (many do not) As far as the insurance goes that depends on your insurance company how your policy is written and who installed it but it is possible that a claim could be denied yes.

That depends if the inspecter knows what they are looking at or not (many do not) As far as the insurance goes that depends on your insurance company how your policy is written and who installed it but it is possible that a claim could be denied yes.

If there is any chance insurance would deny a catastrophic fire claim, I wouldn't go through with it. I contacted my local fire & hearth store to inquire just to see what they say, I guess it wouldn't hurt to have a professional come look at what I got and give me some options and estimates and then I could pose the questions about inserts being up to code and insurance questions. I may just have to go pellet insert.

If there is any chance insurance would deny a catastrophic fire claim, I wouldn't go through with it. I contacted my local fire & hearth store to inquire just to see what they say, I guess it wouldn't hurt to have a professional come look at what I got and give me some options and estimates and then I could pose the questions about inserts being up to code and insurance questions. I may just have to go pellet insert.
It is unlikely that a major claim would be denied but it is possible. And if it is installed by a pro it would be their liability not yours so your insurance would cover it then go after them. But it is still a risk. And by the way a pellet insert will probably have the same issues

It is unlikely that a major claim would be denied but it is possible. And if it is installed by a pro it would be their liability not yours so your insurance would cover it then go after them. But it is still a risk. And by the way a pellet insert will probably have the same issues

Haha I can't win, so maybe third option would be a high efficiency ZC fireplace, would that be more of a possibility?

Haha I can't win, so maybe third option would be a high efficiency ZC fireplace, would that be more of a possibility?
Yes or a rear vent wood stove set in front and hooked to a liner running throught the existing chimney or pull the whole think out and install a freestanding wood stove in an alcove

Yes or a rear vent wood stove set in front and hooked to a liner running throught the existing chimney or pull the whole think out and install a freestanding wood stove in an alcove

I live in an 1800sq ft town home I think a wood stove would be overkill. With that said I wouldn't mind it but I don't want to be burning myself out of the first level to be heating the second level of my house.

I live in an 1800sq ft town home I think a wood stove would be overkill. With that said I wouldn't mind it but I don't want to be burning myself out of the first level to be heating the second level of my house.
An insert is a wood stove also they put out just about as much heat. !800 sqft is not to small at all

I don't know why you would worry about 'burning yourself out'. Crack a window, nothing better than fresh air in the winter.

An insert is a wood stove also they put out just about as much heat. !800 sqft is not to small at all

Ok sounds good. I thought a wood stove was more heavy duty than an insert. I just sent info to my local hearth store to see what they can do for me. He did say typically superior ZC fireplaces aren't insert compatible.

I have a Superior BR42. According the my installer he contacted them before installing an insert and they said it was OK.

I have a Superior BR42. According the my installer he contacted them before installing an insert and they said it was OK.

Did he show you a signed letter from superior? If not the install manual is still what you have to follow and it says this on page 2

DO NOT use a fireplace insert or any other
products not specified herein by the manufac-
turer for use with this fireplace.

That is pretty clear to me.

So my best/most feasible option may be a new high efficiency zero clearance fireplace. I may have been mistaken on my previous assumptions about these as well. I just assumed if I heard the word fireplace that it was more for visual/ambiance purposes and not effective at all for heating purposes. However after some quick research (definitely more to be done) I'm seeing some efficiency levels at around 70-75%, am I correct that the new high efficiency ZC fireplaces are made for heating purposes and are good at doing so?

So my best/most feasible option may be a new high efficiency zero clearance fireplace. I may have been mistaken on my previous assumptions about these as well. I just assumed if I heard the word fireplace that it was more for visual/ambiance purposes and not effective at all for heating purposes. However after some quick research (definitely more to be done) I'm seeing some efficiency levels at around 70-75%, am I correct that the new high efficiency ZC fireplaces are made for heating purposes and are good at doing so?

I cannot speak from a ton of experience with ZC fireplaces, however, have burned in one for the last month. I moved into a new house in December (1800sqft), and have inherited a Vermont Castings Winterwarm large ZC fireplace. (I actually need to change my sig, as I sadly had to sell my PE Alderlea T5 before I moved). The previous owner just rebuilt the inside and did all of the gaskets, so I figured I'd give it a go for this winter, anyways.

I think my unit does a real good job at heating my first floor and the heat creeps upstairs and raises the indoor temp of my second floor, as well (stairs leading to second floor are in the stove room and pretty wide). And this is with me being hesitant to load up this firebox chuck full, due to the info I've read on the forum re: my particular unit.

With that said, I'll be looking to upgrade this unit and would not hesitate to replace it with another ZC fireplace unit (assuming I can find one to fit into my fireplace dimensions). I would think that would be my easiest bet at an upgrade and would think a PE FP 25 or Nap NZ2600 would be able to heat close to as well as my current setup (without the constant thought of it running too hot because it seems to get too much air!)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.