Zero Clearance With Fire Brick?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

devin98

Aug 26, 2015
Canada
Hello Everyone,

I have an old Selkirk 3620 and the refractory panels are cracking and starting to fall apart. I contacted the manufacture and they do not have any parts for the fireplace, I can not get the standard panels anywhere I have contacted over 20 different installers/suppliers/stores. I found some in the US but shipping to Canada will cost as much as a new fireplace.

My question is, if I remove the old broken panels can I replace them with 1 1/4" firebrick and high temp mortar?

Thanks
-Devin

My question is, if I remove the old broken panels can I replace them with 1 1/4" firebrick and high temp mortar?
Nope it will void the ul listing and not give you the same protection.

How about extending the heart, placing a rear-vented stove in front of the fireplace and enjoy the fireview while actually getting heat?

How about extending the heart, placing a rear-vented stove in front of the fireplace and enjoy the fireview while actually getting heat?

I thought of that, but I would need to reconfigure everything (stonework, TV, living room etc), this fireplace is mostly for ambiance and less for heat. Stove manufactures should not be allowed to just discontinue critical components of the wood stoves, this will cause people to come up with un safe solutions like I will need to.

Stove manufactures should not be allowed to just discontinue critical components of the wood stoves,

Kind of agree but which industry can make components for its products forever? Plus, especially such cheap ZC fireplaces have a limited lifespan. When it has already been discontinued for a while the integrity and safety of the fireplace may be compromised and it is time to look for a replacement.
this will cause people to come up with un safe solutions like I will need to.

It is your decision but is an occasional fire for ambiance worth risking the safety of your home and family? Just some food for thought.

Reactions: bholler
Kind of agree but which industry can make components for its products forever? Plus, especially such cheap ZC fireplaces have a limited lifespan. When it has already been discontinued for a while the integrity and safety of the fireplace may be compromised and it is time to look for a replacement.

It is your decision but is an occasional fire for ambiance worth risking the safety of your home and family? Just some food for thought.

The fireplace is in great condition otherwise, not even a scratch on it metal is in great shape.

another question. If I get refractory cement can I cast my own panels?

this would be the way I would go. I have used castables with great success. I have a local dealer who is willing to sell small quantities. it would need to be a light weight insulating refractory.

As the Selkirk 3620 has past its warranty time, you may wish to cut out panels from a board called SKAMOL.
This is easily cut to fit using the old refractories as templates.
But someone said that the S610 does not allow for this so I will have to find the president that refers to this issue.

Last edited:
4 yr old thread, closing.

Status
Not open for further replies.