Zero Clearance Wood Insert Suggestions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wmarazita

Jun 15, 2011
Southern California
Hello folks,

Last year, you all helped me through a purchase and install of an Englander 30. Everything worked out great, and I have attached a photo. Now, I am looking into replacing a fireplace and am looking for ideas.

A couple of factoids about the residence: The residence is a log cabin, about 2900 sq feet, and is three levels. It has a forced air central heating system (propane) which we rarely ever use (and don't want to use due to the cost of the propane). It also currently has the following heating sources.

1st floor: There is a wood pellet stove on the first level which is perfectly adequate for the this level.
2nd floor: The second level is the main living area with the kitchen, family/dining room, and living room. The Englander 30 is on this level. Also on this level is the fireplace which I want to replace and which is the focus of this posting. The current fireplace is of no value for heating the cabin and is showing signs of degradation. We currently don't use the fireplace.
3rd floor: Four bedrooms, with no stoves (and no possibility for stoves). The 3rd floor gets heated fairly well by the Englander 30, but takes a while.

This cabin is a second home, so we are often heating it from dead cold in the winter. We spend the majority of the time on the main floor. The Englander 30 does a fine job of heating the main floor, but it does take quite a while when the cabin is cold to heat all of the logs, contents, etc. The fireplace that is currently in there is a Heatilator Mark 123 (pictured). The hearth around the stove is 2x4 wood construction, with brick veneer. The hearth appears to be full sized bricks mortared onto 2x4 and plywood.

So our thought is to replace the pictured fireplace with a second wood stove (or possibly another pellet stove) and wanted to get some ideas on what would fit and be a reasonable solution. Our goal is to be able to heat the entire cabin quicker from 40 degrees, and also to simply replace the degrading, useless fireplace with something that is useful. I realize that whatever I do, I will need to replace the chimney system as well.

So my questions are these:

1. Is there a zero clearance insert wood stove that would fit into this spot considering the dimensions I have to work with and the location of the mantle?
2. What would be everyone's recommendation on a ZCI wood stove for this application?
3. Is a wood stove the best option here, or maybe a pellet stove?

Bring on the questions, concerns, and thoughts!!

Thanks,
Bill

Attachments

• E304.jpg
    E304.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 601
  • FP1.jpg
    FP1.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 1,074
  • FP4.jpg
    FP4.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 621
  • Fireplace Dimensions.png
    Fireplace Dimensions.png
    16.1 KB · Views: 2,319
I'm just finishing up a zero clearance install.
The Mantle night be a problem. Here are the specs from my fireplaces manual. It's an Enerzone Solution 2.5ZC but all of the others I looked at were all about the same specs.

image002.png

I was wondering if that might be an issue. I will wait and see if anyone else has any ideas. Thanks.

When you say ZC wood stove, I assume you mean units sold as "ZC fireplaces"? (Which are basically woodstoves in a metal shell.) Your width and depth are probably sufficient for many models of ZC fireplace, but the height might be a problem. I have a BIS Ultima, which is a smaller ZC model (2cu ft), and it requires a 36" high opening. If you're looking at models that's the dimension I'd check first. You could lower the hearth or raise the top of the opening, I suppose, although that might be more trouble than it's worth.

You can get a mantle shield if the mantle doesn't meet the clearance. It's mostly an issue if you don't have a blower, as then the heat goes straight up out of the top louvre. With a blower my mantle barely gets warm.

Yes, I guess that is what I mean: A ZC wood fireplace insert. Does anyone know if there is one that will fit my dimensions?

Thanks!

I changed stove to insert in the title. Go for the largest insert that will fit and is approved for ZC FP installation. The mantel can be unobtrusively heat shielded. It looks like you have more than 13" from the insert top to the mantel. For insert sizing we need the actual interior dimensions of the zc fireplace, not the overall surround dimensions. In addition to the front opening dimensions include the top and bottom rear dimensions and top + bottom depths.

begreen, thanks for the post.

I'm not sure I understand. Do you mean that I would leave the Heatilator in place and the new ZC Insert would fit inside it? It has really small inner dimensions (I'm not able to get these dimensions right now.) I was hoping to remove and replace the entire unit. Is that not possible?

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.