Zero Clearance WOod Insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cemdvm

May 27, 2008
Colchester, CT
I'm completely new to heating with wood. Florida born and raised, now living in an 1800 sq ft cape (built in mid 1990's) in central CT.
Given current oil prices, considering a wood stove insert to make use of the 5 acres of wood on our propertry. Started out talking to vendor at a local store and settled on a Pacific energy Pacific insert. After doing more research I found out that tha Pacific can't be installed into our factory built wood buring fireplace.
They did offer a $7000 zero clearance option. Needless to say, I opted to continue researching. So what I know is that I have a Heatilator model # HB42AI. Manufacturer confirms it is UL127 rated. I can't tell specifics about the chimney pipe currently attached because I can't get to it. Have requested the owner's manual/installation instructions from Heatilator so I'll know what should be up there (assuming the builder followed the instructions).
My current option is the Napoleon 1401 insert (excellent reviews here and on other sites). Wondering if there are any suggestions for other inserts that might fit in my heatilator unit.
Also, do we run the 6 in flexible liner throught the existing flue (probably 8 inch pipe) or does the 8 inch come out?
Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.