zero clearence to Pellet stove insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Duffy697

Feb 5, 2010
NY
I want to replace zero clearence fireplace with pellet insert. Can I place new stove in opening or do I have to do some rebuilding, such as lining with durarock. This stove is going in cabin in upstate NY as primary heat.

you have to replace with a zero clearance pellet insert. The Harman accentra insert can be used in this application with the supplied zc box made for this stove

AFAIK, ANY insert can be used, as long as the required clearances specified by the stove manufacturer & exhaust vent are met.

Thanks , I've Got a few different answers. I figured if the cleareces were correct it would work,but was nt sure.

Hi - we did the same thing a few years ago, removing a very inefficient propane fireplace and replacing it with a pellet insert. We looked at several makes and models, but chose the Harman Accentra (with zero clearance box). A decent stove, it also fit the hole in the wall (some others would not), and the surround fit best with our existing mantle, minimizing the amount of work I had to do to make it look "original."

Hi Duffy - I'll try to get a picture up, but my little guy flushed my digital camera late last week so it may take a while. In the interim, Harman has some shots of an installed Accentra on their website, complete with specs.

As I said in the last post, three things brought us to the Harman: 1. the zero clearance and stove fit the hole in the hall without having to modify it; 2. the surround fit the existing mantle best (without too much work); 3. Harman is a decent stove, although the customer service from HQ is wanting in my view. Luckily, we have a good local dealer.

Thay brings back memories of my son's, when they where kid's. Made me laugh. " Dad, my ball almost didn't flush down the toilet"

We have a zc fireplace and have had an insert in it for the last 15 years or so. First one was an Austroflamm Integra; it was a battleship but finally wore out to where it was pointless to repair. Couple years or so ago we put in an Empress; it's there in the avatar.

In our area, you can install the insert right into the old firebox, just make sure your clearances to combustibles are good. Good luck!

Here is a picture of mine. US Stove 6039. You don't have to have an insert either. I believe there are a few folks here who have installed a freestanding and ran the exhaust out their existing chimney. Ranger, I believe had a very nice setup like that.

Schoondog

Attachments

• stove and dogs.jpg
    stove and dogs.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 579
We did the same thing last year. We chose the Mt Vernon AE. It is zero clearance, good looking and very effective.

follow owners' manuals, and also, make sure the pipe, as well as the insert, can be re-used. Gas pipe wont be kosher with a pellet stove. Class A will work. depends on what the old fireplace was (somewhat vague in your original post).

Status
Not open for further replies.