Zero clearnace vs free standing

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jigger47

Feb 3, 2014
Looking at getting a new stove I have been looking at the PE Neo 2.5 or the ever zone destination 2.3. I know these are new Stoves and not a lot of reviews on them however after some talk I am now looking at the possibility of getting a zero clearance and I'm looking at the RSF 320 or the PE PF 30. Stove will be located in basement and basement is fully insulated subfloor entire home is 2200 ft.² northern Ontario primary heating source is NG looking for supplemental heat on my days off. Question is the zero clearance stoves will be put out as much heat as a freestanding while the blower is off or do I need the blower on to get the heat moving. Price will be higher with the zero clearance as I will have some chimney work to do prior to the install. Looking to hear from any members that have a zero clearance and if they are happy of the performance or if they have to do it again they would get a freestanding?

Got my quotes today. The RSF 320 comes in at $3875 (blower & clean face plate) plus $2500 for chimney. The PE Neo 2.5 $2960(blower) need about $500 in chimney parts new T and through wall length. Plus $500 in double wall stove pipe.

I'm thinking the zero clearance would cost an additional $1500 for framing and stone work. The Neo would be about $500 as I would do a accent stone wall. Any thoughts on which way to go. Winter has arrived up here we got 3+" of snow today and I think this stuff will
Be staying.

Hi jigger 47 - I rarely post here, but a little insomnia somehow lead me to your question. I think your subject line is perhaps misleading. I believe "zero clearance" is a phase used to describe a kind of cheap, pre-fab fireplace which builders have used as a way of avoiding the the expense of putting in a true masonry fireplace. Are you really asking about merits of an *insert* vs. a freestanding stove? If so, there have been lots of threads here discussing that question. Searching the archives/FAQ's will lead to hours of fun. But since I'm not sleeping anyway, I'll give you my quick take: go with the freestanding. I started out with an insert about 10 years ago and was very disappointed with the amount of heat I got out of it, even using the blower. Eventually removed the shrouding and pulled the stove out as far as I could. (My particular model can be used either an insert or a freestanding). Here's an old thread you may find interesting. https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/insert-surround-trim-and-loss-of-heat.40645/ On the new stove front, sorry, haven't been in the market for a long time so I don't have an opinion on the particular models you mention. Hope I haven't misinterpreted your question and that this helps.

Thanks for the response. I thought an insert referred to the style of stove that could only go into a masonry fireplace. And the zero clearance you build a frame around and make it look like a faux fireplace. Thanks for the link. I've searched and found lots on inserts into masonry fireplaces but no luck with the style I was looking at. I'm guessing company's don't sell a lot of them as most only carry one or two zero clearance models. Leaning towards the Neo.

Thanks for the response. I thought an insert referred to the style of stove that could only go into a masonry fireplace. And the zero clearance you build a frame around and make it look like a faux fireplace. Thanks for the link. I've searched and found lots on inserts into masonry fireplaces but no luck with the style I was looking at. I'm guessing company's don't sell a lot of them as most only carry one or two zero clearance models. Leaning towards the Neo.
Your understanding of an insert is correct. They "insert" into and existing fireplace - typically an older masonry fireplace. A zero clearance is for new construction.

I would probably lean towards the stove in a basement. It will be more efficient, and total installation costs will be less. They also work without power. I think the main reason for going with a ZC would be if you prefer a traditional fireplace appearance. If it were a focal point in the main living area of a higher end home, I would be more inclined to go with the ZC. In the basement, I suspect this in not an issue,

Be aware it may be difficult to get heat upstairs from your basement without uncomfortably high temperatures in the basement.

Your understanding of an insert is correct. They "insert" into and existing fireplace - typically an older masonry fireplace. A zero clearance is for new construction.

I would probably lean towards the stove in a basement. It will be more efficient, and total installation costs will be less. They also work without power. I think the main reason for going with a ZC would be if you prefer a traditional fireplace appearance. If it were a focal point in the main living area of a higher end home, I would be more inclined to go with the ZC. In the basement, I suspect this in not an issue,

Be aware it may be difficult to get heat upstairs from your basement without uncomfortably high temperatures in the basement.

That is the issue is that the stove will be placed in the living space of my finished basement. It will be in the family/ rec room. I'm leaning towards the Neo 2.5 Stove. The stairs are about 20 feet from the stove location and they are open. With some air movement I'm hoping to get the heat to the main floor. I had a stove in the basement previous and the temps were different between the two levels but they were liveable.

To answer one of your questions: ZC will always need the blower on to move the air. No power means much reduced heat into the room and in a power outage, you'll regret going with a ZC. I agonized over putting in a new ZC just for the looks, then realized how noisy some of the blowers can be in a quiet room, especially after a few years. There are some wonderful choices for freestanding stoves that will look just as beautiful as a fireplace. I ended up with a used Woodstock Equinox just as an example.
A good freestanding stove should easily give you tons of heat but getting the heat throughout the house is a problem. You knew that already though.

Hello, here is my 2 cents about this. I installed a zc in march of this year. Yes it is true that you do not get the same amount of heat if the power goes out because the zc is closed in. But I installed a gravity kit on my unit that allows the trapped heat to escape the fireplace with out the fan on. Many days I don't turn the fans on at all. I also installed a forced air kit with insulated duct to the upstairs of my house to spread the heat. I am still finishing the install but here are some pics. The 2 vents are the gravity kit.

Attachments

• IMG_0160 (1).JPG
    IMG_0160 (1).JPG
    33.1 KB · Views: 244
Question is the zero clearance stoves will be put out as much heat as a freestanding while the blower is off or do I need the blower on to get the heat moving.
I had an insert with a blower. We switched to a freestanding stove (no blower) and could not be happier. Best choice I ever made concerning my heating. So quiet, more heat. I can't speak for everyone, but my experience would lead me to tell anyone with a choice to leave the insert where it is and get a freestander.

If it's a coin toss then without a doubt I would go with the freestanding stove. More heat even with the power out and the option to change out the stove with minimal cost if desired.

Thanks guys. Going free standing. Now to decide neo 2.5 for the super 27. Neo was first choice for looks but at $1000 more. Not so sure. Need to make the call soon though. Winter had arrived -18c this morning.

Jigger, what did you end up going with? I had a Super 27 for a year and it was an awesome stove, and really cranked the heat. Handsome too. The new Neo is really fantastic looking if you have a modern place, but I get where you're coming from on the extra cost. When I bought my 27, it was a basic stove, pedestal, black door, no ash drawer, $1520cdn + tax out the door. Awesome value. Still a beautiful stove.

Jigger, what did you end up going with? I had a Super 27 for a year and it was an awesome stove, and really cranked the heat. Handsome too. The new Neo is really fantastic looking if you have a modern place, but I get where you're coming from on the extra cost. When I bought my 27, it was a basic stove, pedestal, black door, no ash drawer, $1520cdn + tax out the door. Awesome value. Still a beautiful stove.
I went with the super 27. I posted picks on a thread. Been burning 24/7 for the last 3 weeks. Great stove. I bought the heritage model I can't recall the exact price.

Status
Not open for further replies.