Zero Degrees and breeze!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Henz

Mar 23, 2006
Northville, NY
Well, had quite the time on Sunday with thos sub-zero temps and breeze..HAd the house up to the 73 mark and struggled to keep it there I tell you even with being home all day and reloading..Although, I first re-loaded from the night before at 7am (temp 66) got the house up to the 73 degrees and didnt re-load until 2ish, house only at 70.. 7 hours of maintaining a house temp on a windy, zero degree day aint bad I would say.

Well single digits it is...but for how long? We had a similar situation with the stove tending. BUT it was nice to be at home and just work at keeping it toasty in here.
We managed to keep 74 on the second level and 72 on the first. The overnight was a bit different, because I didn't get up. So, when we got up at 7AM it was down to 66 upstairs. (OK for sleeping anyway)

I can honestly say winter would be just plain misery without my woodburning experience.

is this your first year with a woodstove??

NO, this would be my 40th year with woodstoves...

oh gotchya!

I had to load mine every 3-4 hours, and managed to maintain in the low-mid 60's. If I would have let it go overnight without reloading, I think we would have all had frostbite!

ouch M f A! small stove?

Adirondackwoodburner said:
ouch M f A! small stove?

OK...I realize this. But unfortunately, I'm on my third stove (had small VC Dutchwest catalytic, then bought large VC Dutchwest NC, and now the Heritage) for this house, and the wife would kill me for even mentioning a new stove!!!

Well Mike, you could always run them in tandem...(LOL)

We wondered if our stove would be large enough once the cold air settled in, especially when the wind kicked in too. Going from a big Ashely to a small Fireview soapstone, we did worry some. No need to worry though as we kept the house very warm. Had company Sat. night and had them removing clothing! You could hardly see any fire in the stove but the room temperature was 78 degrees. In short, we like the stove.

Nice! that is one thing about burning wood. If you goto a house that does not have a woodstove, you freeze your ass off..

Status
Not open for further replies.