Zone dump question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bad LP

Minister of Fire
Nov 28, 2014
Northern Maine
I'm in the process of planning a wood boiler system. Currently have a Tarm Solo Plus 30 boiler that I picked up in pretty nice shape and I will have at least 600 gallons of pressurized storage. House is mostly RFH in Gypcrete and for the few spaces that are HWB, I will be converting them to radiant panels.

I need a dump zone. I could place an exchanger into the dedicated central AC unit but over heating the house would likely be the result. I could also dump into the basement using a Modine but that too may have the basement (workshop mostly) getting too hot plus I expect heat loss from boiler and tanks to keep it plenty warm.

Yes I know that I need another dump zone for power loss but the house does have an auto stand by genny.

Has anyone ever dumped into the masonry stairs for the front door? It sure would be nice to have a snow and ice free set of blue stone stairs. The stairs have not been built yet but most of the stock is on site. I do know that I need to isolate it with a small glycol zone as there is no way I'm running a glycol system in this house.

As a last resort I could dump the heat into my dedicated wood storage area (concrete with garage door, double insulated doors into the basement space) but I fear the hot/cold cycle would be a recipe for disaster with moisture in my dry wood for the heating season.

I don't have a lot of interest in dumping into the detached garage (60-70 foot run) but...

Your dump zone should be rarely used, so places getting too warm from it or planning on it delivering constant or steady heat ( the steps) shouldn't really be a consideration. Have a place you can put a cast iron rad above the boiler somewhere?

I wasn't planning on keeping the steps warm as an active zone.

I do have a couple of CI radiators but their placement could not go directly above the boiler. It would be on the floor above but would need a 30 foot run of pipe.

If you are going to be swapping out some HWBB, I might think of hanging some of that from the ceiling/joists, right above the boiler. Would be light & easy to handle, getting it up there - and since you've already got it, cheap.

I have a Solo Plus 40 with a baseboard type dump zone installed on the ceiling above the boiler. But ... when the draft fan shuts down, the fire dies down rapidly, and I don't think I found a situation when the dump zone ever activated due to a power loss. It has activated when due to my error (leaving the door open after a wood re-load) the boiler did go into overheat (about 195F) and the dump zone has activated.

Dump zone should be rarely if ever used, so I wouldn't worry about overheating an area.

Status
Not open for further replies.