Zone vale/circulator pump

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Splitmonster

Sep 29, 2013
Tolland. Ct
Im looking for a circulator pump that does not flow any water while it is not running. Im having an issue when my boiler is running its pushing some hot water past the main pump and heating the house when the T-stat is not calling. Is there a pump out there that works both like a zone valve and circ pump. Im trying to avoid cutting into the pipes to add a zone valve. I would much rather replace a pump at the flanges. Thanks

You want integrated flow check circulator IFC for short. Hopefully you can isolate your existing circa and plug and play.

Will that work in both directions? I know the pump i have now has one check valve in it so it can only flow one direction

You would want to add a flow check to the system. They are a gravity check valve that prevents ghost flow.

Or add a zone valve and run the pump off the valve end switch.

Dont think you can do it without cutting the pipe.

This sounds like the the same problem I have. I have zone pumps (and buffer tank) off a header fed by the boiler circ, that bled some heat to the zones even when the pumps were off. I found that turning down the boiler circ pump helped. The pumps are B&G Ecocircs that are infinitely adjustable.

I thought about turning down my boiler pump but my boiler is running 10-15 degrees warmer than the tank as it is, so I'd rather not slow it any. Seems to be in a good state.

I guess I will just have to break out the hot glue and slap a zone valve in:(
Thanks for the help

Might help to have more details on your system - although a zone valve might still be needed.

Eg., I am wondering why the water is circulating when there is no call for heat?

The boiler pump is on because the boiler is running and supplying the tank, I imagine. The zone pumps are not on but there is flow past them.

Why not try slowing it down and see what happens? You can always return to the original setting. Maybe it's losing heat to the zones and that's why the temp difference. Your other thread indicated it's no small pump (Taco 0015?). I'm no expert though.

Ah, I see.

If you really want to avoid cutting in a zone valve, maybe try swapping in a smaller boiler pump? I see mention in that thread that a pretty large one was being used. Too lazy to check pump curves right now - but I'm still using a 15-58 on low speed for my boiler pump on my 40kw boiler. Although my tanks are right beside my boiler. What are you seeing for delta-T thru the boiler? But with some flow going through the zones, that might be skewing that a bit.

Last edited:
Im looking for a circulator pump that does not flow any water while it is not running. Im having an issue when my boiler is running its pushing some hot water past the main pump and heating the house when the T-stat is not calling. Is there a pump out there that works both like a zone valve and circ pump. Im trying to avoid cutting into the pipes to add a zone valve. I would much rather replace a pump at the flanges. Thanks

Grundfos Type UPS 15-58 FRC has built in check valves. The flange to flange dim is 6.5 inches. These are the 3 speed models. Just installed 7 of them removing TACO 007 and zone valves. The oil fired boiler had a terrible problem with ghost heating.

The old pumps and valves were working fine but last year I was getting a nasty water hammer and it couldn't be isolated nor duplicated on a regular basis so we ripped it all out. Problem solved.

Grundfos Type UPS 15-58 FRC has built in check valves. The flange to flange dim is 6.5 inches. These are the 3 speed models. Just installed 7 of them removing TACO 007 and zone valves. The oil fired boiler had a terrible problem with ghost heating.

The old pumps and valves were working fine but last year I was getting a nasty water hammer and it couldn't be isolated nor duplicated on a regular basis so we ripped it all out. Problem solved.

Wow - that's a lot of pumps.

Did you consider swapping the 007 for an Alpha? I have 4 zones - 5 counting DHW - zoned with valves, and used to have one 15-58 on them. I swapped it for an Alpha. I never hear any noise anymore, hard to tell if a zone is heating or not sometimes. I did have one zone that would bang a pipe against a hanger sometimes, like if it was the only zone running then closed. Not any more.

WOW. I love this site. I appreciate the time you guys have put into my problem. Even going as far as looking up some past problems I've had to see what I'm running. Hats off to you:)

I will look into the grundfos pump. That would be key to just swap pumps out. There would be minimal water loss and only a few wires to just swap around. Plus new pumps are nearly the same price as a zone valve

Wow - that's a lot of pumps.

Did you consider swapping the 007 for an Alpha? I have 4 zones - 5 counting DHW - zoned with valves, and used to have one 15-58 on them. I swapped it for an Alpha. I never hear any noise anymore, hard to tell if a zone is heating or not sometimes. I did have one zone that would bang a pipe against a hanger sometimes, like if it was the only zone running then closed. Not any more.

No I did not.

I trust my HVAC 100% as he is a solver not a part swapper.

Status
Not open for further replies.