Zone Valve Size

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I just bought a tarm innova 30 and plan to have all the main piping as 1 1/4 inch dia copper as per the manufacturer diagram (attached). However the zone valve they sold me is a 1" dia honeywell zone valve. Should I be concern about putting in a small zone valve and flows? Should I return it and buy a larger 1 1/4 inch diameter taco or white rodgers zone valve?

Attachments

• tarm.jpg
    tarm.jpg
    109.6 KB · Views: 468
Hello and Welcome blackdoglabrador.

I'm guessing the zone valve in question is for your gravity overheat loop ?(B in the schematic). It shows this loop as 1" with an Automag ZV but maybe they sent you a Honeywell? In either case I believe it should be a "normally open" valve and only opens in the event of a power outage so you can dissipate heat from the boiler when the pump stops circulating.

I am not a heating pro, so take what I have said as such.

Good luck,
Noah

I posted the wrong diagram, and in doing so realized that I can replaced the zone valve with a weighted check (and then use the zone valve they sent for my indirect dhw circuit). There was another diagram that should a zone valve before c-1 instead of a weighted check. So I will go with the weighted check as shown in this diagram.

http://woodboilers.com/admin/uploads/public/WoodBoilerPlumbingSchematic0111Web.pdf

Status
Not open for further replies.