Replacing an older "larger" Jotul from the late 90's with a BK?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Couldn’t wait for the new stove. Had to have us a fire. Being near the ocean and the marine layer, it got super cold tonight (around 46f). Couldn’t not have a fire….right? . Barely gave it any fuel, since the stove has no more “control” due to a fault (crack, something that’s beyond fixable, NOT jotuls fault, love this company…just age is all). A log or two at a time keeps it right at safe temps. Flu and all is safe, just always runs wide open due to the “age”. Hope I run wide open when I’m old! Anywho:
That’s where the new princess is going to go….can’t wait!

Lol. At 46 F for the low temp I let the stove go cold....

Seriously, if 46 F for the low temp is cold, I'm glad you didn't get the King.

I had a fire too today. Outside. After mowing the lawn and with a good book

Lol. At 46 F for the low temp I let the stove go cold....

Seriously, if 46 F for the low temp is cold, I'm glad you didn't get the King.

I had a fire too today. Outside. After mowing the lawn and with a good book
Haha. Yup, I was kidding about calling it cold, but wasn’t about the temp.
We hit the 30’s maybe 10 days a year
I’m not sure if we do a day or so in the 20’s (night time)
I don’t think we do
We are about a mid 40’s night and mid 70’s
Day as averages
We do get colder and hotter
Yea, the king was way toooo much.

46°F is way below freezing for California. I didn't know it could get that cold here! Where I am it is 66°F and falling, and of course I have a fire going.

View attachment 327510
What’s your stove? Where in CA that’s 60+ at night? Inland empire? Palm desert?
I’m no stove expert, I’m quite the opposite actually, but why so many “knuckles” coming off the stove vs a straight vs a straight shoot?

This is outdoors in Orange County, about 7 miles from the Pacific. I could probably try to straighten out the two elbows, but one of them already came uncrimped once, so I leave good enough alone. It's two adjustable elbows plus four feet of single wall stove pipe into 6 feet of Duravent Duraplus triple wall class A chimney pipe. The stove is an Enerco H100 aka Cleveland Iron Works Ontario. Very happy with it.

Burning here in WA today. Rain and 52. Small loads burned relatively hot. Dogs love it.

The princess was a great choice though I’ve seen kings in single wide trailer houses in my area.

View attachment 327501

Couldn’t wait for the new stove. Had to have us a fire. Being near the ocean and the marine layer, it got super cold tonight (around 46f). Couldn’t not have a fire….right? . Barely gave it any fuel, since the stove has no more “control” due to a fault (crack, something that’s beyond fixable, NOT jotuls fault, love this company…just age is all). A log or two at a time keeps it right at safe temps. Flu and all is safe, just always runs wide open due to the “age”. Hope I run wide open when I’m old! Anywho:
That’s where the new princess is going to go….can’t wait!
That jotul actually looks really good.

Haha. Yup, I was kidding about calling it cold, but wasn’t about the temp.
We hit the 30’s maybe 10 days a year
I’m not sure if we do a day or so in the 20’s (night time)
I don’t think we do
We are about a mid 40’s night and mid 70’s
Day as averages
We do get colder and hotter
Yea, the king was way toooo much.
How do you plan on dealing with the long burn times with temps in the 70s during the days?

Reactions: stoveliker
good chimney for sure; enough draft apparently :)
Interesting you'd say that. Earlier I had closed the air all the way, and the stove pipe gas temperature (measured ~2 inches inside the 6" pipe) fell to 109°C/228°F at the bottom and 90°C/194°F in the middle, and the stove started smoking, with no flames visible. So that was too low; right now it's running half open, bottom stove pipe temp 198°C/390°F and middle 158°C/316°F, which probably keeps it just above condensing in the chimney pipe. A few flames, no smoke.
Sorry, we are really drifting off topic...

Last edited:
If this was indoors I assume most people would turn the heat on a little at 66 °F, no?
Anyways, I'm outdoors, and what can I say, I like fire.
I won't this time of year no