Show Us Your Wood Shed

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Not quite a “shed” but yesterday I started in on filling the wood pile back up for this coming fall.
Show Us Your Wood Shed

7-8 more 2 cord loads like that and I think it’ll about be full !!
Show Us Your Wood Shed

I wish I had room for that much wood! Thats great that you do, and you use it.

I still use dog tags on the new sheds, the only real way to keep track with my bad memory. Now I have teacup hooks on the soffit of each shed bay, and just hang the tags from those:

View attachment 327655 View attachment 327658

Another observation: I end up going total Tetris on filling these sheds, stuffing the top splits up into the rafters, and tight up against the soffit. These photos were taken in fall 2023, so after 4 years of drying, and you can see how much the stack height decreased due primarily to loss of moisture. Just eyeballing, the stack dropped maybe 8". I don't remember exact height of stack, it gets deeper as you go back, but maybe 6' 8" at soffit.
Now you have me wanting to measure a fresh cut split with calipers and then measure it again in a year.

Reactions: bigealta
Yeah it's definitely a Costanza in the Pool deal with the "Shrinkage"

Reactions: BillBurns