2024 Garden Thread!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
I use woodchips as mulch in my (non-food) garden - on the sand here (ice age ridges of sand and boulders) it helps a lot in decreasing water evaporation from the soil, keeping the soil warmer, and bringing carbon in the soil. Worked similarly well on the clay in TN.

I wonder whether the plants would grow better (more nitrogen) with something else. The wife does not like grass clippings in the non-food yard though...

Regarding the grass clippings in a (food) garden. I'd add the caveat to only do that if your grass is clean - no herbicides or pesticides (and if all natural, no artificial fertilizer). Otherwise you'll be bringing ***cides to the stuff you want to eat.
I got a big load of wood chips free from a tree service. Now I have smelly stinkhorns all over. They stink!

• Haha
Reactions: stoveliker
The wood chip video guy had greens and compost mixed into his chips. The grinder was mixing in the leaves and branches in addition to the trunk. I think he also had a bunch of compost he’d mix in from his chickens.

There have been a bunch of people that have used wood chips only and had luck. I think they plant below the chips, with the roots into the soil.

The chips should only pull nitrogen from the soil they are in contact with while they are decomposing via bacteria. If you have fungal forces at work, the bacteria might not be an issue.
Yes, if the soil is well amended in advance of mulching with some supplemental nitrogen added, the nitrogen depletion effect can be mitigated, especially if the garden is drip irrigated. The main benefit of a wood chip mulch is weed reduction and moisture retention. If available, a heavy straw or spoiled hay mulch can be much more effective and benficial. Ruth Stout championed this No Work Garden method many decades ago.

Regarding the grass clippings in a (food) garden. I'd add the caveat to only do that if your grass is clean - no herbicides or pesticides (and if all natural, no artificial fertilizer). Otherwise you'll be bringing ***cides to the stuff you want to eat.
Definitely, this is true for any mulch. We only use our own lawn clippings so that we know they are ok. Out here, hay from eastern WA can have the herbicide clopyralid or aminopyralid in it which is toxic for 3-5 yrs. and devastating to young plants, especially legumes.

Also, be careful not to use grass later in the season when it is going to seed or you will have a lawn in your garden.

Last edited:
Reactions: stoveliker
Taxi tomatoes, pickle bush, and the whole 10x20 garden under the sun shade.

2024 Garden Thread! 2024 Garden Thread! 2024 Garden Thread!

Looking good. You are a month ahead of us in growing. We are still having cool nights to contend with. We grew taxi for a couple years. It's a nice tomato and a good performer. Is this a different cucumber? It doesn't look like a bush plant.

Our outdoor cuke is barely 8" tall. The same plant in the greenhouse is pushing 3' tall and is already setting cucumbers.

Looking good. You are a month ahead of us in growing. We are still having cool nights to contend with. We grew taxi for a couple years. It's a nice tomato and a good performer. Is this a different cucumber? It doesn't look like a bush plant.

Our outdoor cuke is barely 8" tall. The same plant in the greenhouse is pushing 3' tall and is already setting cucumbers.
Yes that’s the bush pickle. You a looking at the side of a bale. I think I only had one plant in that pot.

It’s becoming apparent that the cool short season tomatoes don’t like the heat and it really hasn’t been that hot. 86 yesterday 85 now. I’m going to try a take a clipping of the taxi just to see if the determinate can be an all summer long tomato 🍅 plant.