Review of Jotul --- Castine F 400 -- Freestanding Stove burning Wood only
Installation Type: Wood/Coal - into masonry chimney
prior to Nov. 2004*)
Satisfaction Ratings from 5 stars (best) to 1 star (worst)
Satisfaction with unit = ✰✰✰✰✰
Satisfaction with dealer = ✰✰✰✰✰
Satisfaction with manufacturer = ✰✰✰✰✰
Other Information about the Home and Stove
Room Size (Sq ft): 600 | House Size (Sq feet): 1000
Bought in 2001 , Price Paid: $ 875
Location : Portland, OR 97201, USA
Purchased from: Fireplace Retail Store - N/A
High-quality stove, excellent design, beautiful finish (porcelain), excellent secondary heat source, low pollution, enjoy viewing the open fire.
None (but see comments)
1. Draws well with 14-foot metal flue (6" diameter) inside masonry chimney, on interior wall.
2. I highly recommend purchasing a stove in February. I got this brand-new Jotul stove (last year's model) at half price! Also, the best local installer wouldn't return my calls last fall, but had an open schedule in Feb.
3. The Jotul Castine is an excellent choice as a secondary heat source; it easily heats a 1000 sq foot house in this mild Oregon climate. However, if I wanted to use wood as my primary winter heat source, I would buy a stove with a larger firebox: to hold a fire over night, for rapid heat when returning to a cold house, and for less-frequent trips to the wood pile.
4. I purchased this stove in Feb, 2004 (the "year purchased" box only goes up to 2001).
* Dates that reviews were submitted were not recorded prior to Nov. 2004