Review of --- Duet -- Freestanding Stove burning Wood only
Installation Type: Wood/Coal - Freestanding into metal Chimney
Satisfaction Ratings from 5 stars (best) to 1 star (worst)
Satisfaction with unit = ✰✰✰
Satisfaction with dealer = ✰✰✰
Satisfaction with manufacturer = ✰✰✰
Other Information about the Home and Stove
Room Size (Sq ft): 1400 | House Size (Sq feet): 2000
Bought in 2017 , Price Paid: $3600
Location : Meredith, NH 03253, USA
Purchased from: Fireplace Retail Store - Woodman's Forge Wakefield NH
1) Great Ambience.
2) Delivers the heat with a nice even burn once you get it right (see cons). Heating 1400 sf no problem.
3) Everyone said two sided can't be done (physics blah blah blah) but they pulled it off - sort of (see cons).
1) Belches smoke any time you try to attend to this. They seriously need a better updraft control for times when you need to open the door.
2) Quite noisy much of the time from thermal clanging which makes the unit sound cheap (and trust me it ain't cheap).
3) You can't completely control the air intake - most importantly shutting off all air if there is say a pipe fire = makes me very nervous (previous stove you could choke the air completely). Leaves me not sure when to call the FD.
4) Not a set and forget = you can't just fill it up and come back in 4 hours. Can't do anything close to an overnight burn even though the firebox is quite large. Putting it on low burn just cause it to go out again likely to do with how they did the updraft. My experience is it is necessary to throw in a log every hour or so (and do it right quick or suffer the smoke).
5) Notwithstanding that the blower is largely useless in my case (stand-alone unit heating a large open space) the fans are loud on high but perhaps not an issue when encasing in a wall and using duct work for air distribution.
6) Given the smoking problem I don't know how one could possibly use the pulldowns for grilling food (you get one flip of the burger maybe?). My experience suggests that it is an oversold come-on (but would love to see a video of someone actually doing it).
Love/Hate relationship. Beautiful to look at but VERY temperamental. Stove is legitimate despite everyone saying you can't have a two sided stove.. It has great ambience and delivers the heat and you get a nice steady burn (once you get it right). But if you so much as crack open the door to say throw in a log or move things around then you will get a face full of smoke. They spent a lot of time optimizing updraft for normal burning but this comes at the expense of wide-open updraft when you need it. I have had a house full of smoke because sometimes the fire won't go on the first shot or on a restart and you have to open it up to fix it. It can also get away from you even when you put the draft on low. Mine went 100 degrees into the red zone and there was nothing I could do to bring it down (a tense few minutes). The regulating mechanism did eventually limit the burn but again made me very nervous. I probably would have taken this back if I didn't pay so much for it or there were other legitimate choices. Fix the smoke problem and have some mechanism to choke off the air in case of emergency and I would give this a 5.
* Dates that reviews were submitted were not recorded prior to Nov. 2004