’some’ smoke in hopper

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I know that smoke in the hopper is not good. How much are you talking about? When I start my Harman Accentra from cold, there is some smoke in the hopper when it first lights up for a few minutes- until it gets hot, I am guessing. Smoke in the hopper continuously gets creosote like remnents on the auger, and top of the feed plate, I believe. When I do clean my stove, there is always hard stuff (sorry- am having a brain fart- cannot think of correct word!), on te top plate, and in the corners of the feed bin. How much is normal- how much is related to the quality of pellets? I am wondering if the pipe/chimney needs to be cleaned again. Also, the glass gets very dirty within a day or a few days. Thanks.

PE- do you mean what is the chimney like? Straight up- about 16 feet I'd guess- maybe more. Triple pipe. T- out the back for cleaning. I cleaned inside again today- seemed like quite a bit of soot/dust behind the small plate under the pot- vacuumed it out. Watched it more closely than I normally do- smoke in the very bottom of the box when starting- about 10+ minutes. Then, when it is going/hot, no smoke. How long does it usually take before the windows get smoke/cruddy?

I thought it would not be a routine thing either. I talked to Majic City Stoves in Casper, where I bought mine- he said the smoke aggenda is ok- just the stove warming up (smoke does go away after 5-10 minutes). Supposedly, if the pellets are not of goof quality (I am burning Firemaster), more buildup will happen, but I was under the impression that Firemaster was a good pellet. Yesterday and today, the glass is clear- go figure! I will be glad when I get back south (it's 80 degrees where I am from right now), where I won't be using a pellet stove. A wood stove for rare back-up is my preference! Thanks anyway!

Status
Not open for further replies.