036 died.......

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

crichison

Jan 30, 2010
Central MO
I posted on different thread here that my 036 got hot and died on me over the weekend. Took it to the local stihl dealer to have it looked at and they said that the crank shaft seals had been leaking allowing the saw to run lean and scored the piston and cylinder wall. Estimated that it would be $400 parts and labor to have it fixed, I bought the saw used 7 years ago for $350 so I didn't want to go that route. Ended up buying a new 310 while I was there.

I talked to the guy that worked on the saw and asked him if there was some indication that I should have picked up that could have been repaired before destruction. He told me there really isn't a way to know without doing a compression check and of course that would only indicate that things were good at that point in time. Wondering if I should of noticed something while running the saw.........any comments or suggestions?

If the crank seals start leaking its just a matter of time before it needs rebuild so I dought there is anything you could have done to stop that...

How about just tearing it down and replacing the seals? I did my saws (they are not stihl) but it wasnt too bad of a job. I'd think you'll end up with something like new.

crichison said:
I posted on different thread here that my 036 got hot and died on me over the weekend. Took it to the local stihl dealer to have it looked at and they said that the crank shaft seals had been leaking allowing the saw to run lean and scored the piston and cylinder wall. Estimated that it would be $400 parts and labor to have it fixed, I bought the saw used 7 years ago for $350 so I didn't want to go that route. Ended up buying a new 310 while I was there.

I talked to the guy that worked on the saw and asked him if there was some indication that I should have picked up that could have been repaired before destruction. He told me there really isn't a way to know without doing a compression check and of course that would only indicate that things were good at that point in time. Wondering if I should of noticed something while running the saw.........any comments or suggestions?

A compression test will not indicate that the crankshaft seals are leaking. A leakdown test will detect it. Hard starting is a problem when a leak is developing in the bottom end. On snowmobile engines, if a dead cylinder is detected a quick check is to spray ether around the pto end of the crankshaft. You will hear an almost instand "firing" on that cylinder. Only works on the pto cylinder though. Also around carb flanges and spigots.

Garnification, you are correct, I misspoke (typed) the service guy did say leakdown test not compression test. Thanks for setting me straight. I'm not a motor guy but have stumbled my way through rebuilding a dirt bike engine in the past. I wasn't willing to spend the ~$250 for the OEM cyclinder and piston kit, but now have found you can get after market parts for much cheaper, that changes things. I will probably end up rebuilding the saw sometime.

Status
Not open for further replies.