039 up and running

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

NH_Wood

Minister of Fire
Dec 24, 2009
southern NH
Hi everyone. I traded a couple of old window A/C units for a 039 this summer. Ran real rough - wouldn't start easy, stalled quickly, etc. Just had time to get at it - replaced the basics (fuel filter, spark plug and air filter), but still seems to run rough. Then I noticed that gas was leaking from the grommet of the fuel line at the fuel tank, so picked up a new line (Oregon unit on-line with free shipping for $6!), and put it in yesterday. That was it - saw running very well now and with a new 20" bar and chain, I'm real happy with how she cuts. My Dolmar has been my got to saw, but I see the 039 sharing a lot more duties. Cheers!

Reactions: f3cbboy
I loved my 039....Ran well and put some real work in when it had to. Was a hand me down from my FIL and I had a good couple years with it and then the case cracked and leaked oil, eventually I lost the head on it and it was unfixable, replaced it with a ms 391.....same saw and runs nice! Only have about 6 tanks of gas through it.

A carb kit rebuild is another thing I would throw at any saw running rough. During the last year I put 3 $12-14 carb kits into old stihls (2 saws and 1 brush cutter) and it made an immediate significant improvement to the performance to 2 of the 3. The third apparently didn't need it and the issues were elseware (turned out to be ignition). They are real easy to do and for little money you can rebuild it and rule the carb out. Great deal on the 039!

A carb kit rebuild is another thing I would throw at any saw running rough. During the last year I put 3 $12-14 carb kits into old stihls (2 saws and 1 brush cutter) and it made an immediate significant improvement to the performance to 2 of the 3. The third apparently didn't need it and the issues were elseware (turned out to be ignition). They are real easy to do and for little money you can rebuild it and rule the carb out. Great deal on the 039!
Thanks Boog - was thinking the same thing - might do a carb kit once I'm done cutting for the fall. I'm sure a lot of old fuel sat in the carb for a long while before the saw came to me. She's running nice now, so no big rush. Cheers!

Status
Not open for further replies.