044 used coil?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

711mhw

Feeling the Heat
Dec 7, 2010
Western ME
Got a bad coil on my fav saw. The dealer want's $110 for the part, and I can get used ones on ebay for $40.
Any thoughts or exp. with this? The saw has worked flawlessly for me for over 20 years and I got it used! It doesn't owe me a penny but those penny's are getting harder to come by (obamanomics) you know. :ahhh:

Uhhh... you've already got a used coil. But seriously, I some guys that have real good luck on e bay, & others not so much. If the seller guarantees it good, give it a shot. I've always worked on the theory that good used is worth 1/2 of new, & that's about where you'll be with shipping. You might also see what other models that coil fits, & look for a parts saw on CL. A C

If it's your favorite saw, treat it to a new coil. Used parts are ok if you're trying to get by, sell the piece, etc. but especially electrical items, I think it's risky business. $110 seems a bit steep for a coil, even new. What saw is this for?

MasterMech said:
If it's your favorite saw, treat it to a new coil. Used parts are ok if you're trying to get by, sell the piece, etc. but especially electrical items, I think it's risky business. $110 seems a bit steep for a coil, even new. What saw is this for?
+1 044 spend the money!

Not positive, but I think some stihl saws had a lifetime coil warranty. Maybe ask your dealer again.
Aftermarket new is also an option. Should be $50-$60.

I'm not sure that Stihl still does the Lifetime warranty on the coils, but it is true that at one time they did. Call a couple dealers and ask...

I was thinking the 044 model is no spring chicken, so it might be warranted

I checked at the dealer, there is a lifetime grarantee on the electronic ign. but it is for the orig owner, not me!
Seeing that the orig coil has given me, or the saw prolly 25 years without a hitch, I'm going to roll the dice on a takeoff (used) coil. I know.... electronic parts. I'm goin for it. I feel thet the local Stihl guy is a little greedy at $110. Do you guys know of any Stihl parts on line?, all I seem to come up with are used parts.

Stihl would can a dealer caught selling parts/saws online faster than a 880 bucking popsicle sticks. Stihl dealers are NOT allowed to sell online or by phone/mail. Period. Keeps everybody fair. That way a dealer in Anytown, USA isn't underbidding the locals and shipping all over the country. Actually, anything with a serial number isn't even allowed to leave the dealership in a box. It MUST be prepped/running before it's sold. You can have the box if you want it, lol, but they can't just hand a new saw in a box to you without prepping it.

Yeah $110 sounds pretty high for a coil. I can look-up/price a coil if I get time. You should call another dealer to get a price. You might be able to get your local guy back into reality then. I had an auto parts store charging me well over list price once. They "correct" the price for me when I point it out but I now take my business elsewhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.