1 1/4" Heat Pex

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

killick

Oct 28, 2009
Nova Scotia, Canada
Hi;
Getting ready do have the Econoburn 150 installed and am looking fo a Canadian source for 1 1/4" heat pex with the Oxygen barrier. My installer has been quoted a price of $16 per foot. This seems excessive as I need two 70 ft runs to get from the shed to the house. This will be run through an existing 4" PVC pipe after the Kaitec pex-al-pex is removed. The Kaitec is showing signs of breaking down so I figgure it is best to replace it. Any suggestions?

Earl

I have looked at the Thermopex but I am doing a retrofit and am unable, without major work, to excavate for a new line. The existing Kaitec is run in a 4" PVC pipe which is 4' down, insulated and has the electrical conduit at 2' below grade. We are planning on fastening the new pex to the Kaitec and pull it through. There is also a 1/2" water line feeding the boiler. Thanks for the suggestion though.

Earl

juddspaintballs said:
Have you checked Ebay? Or will PEX Supply ship to you in Canada?

Yup, no 1 1/4" on E-Bay right now. I'll check out Pex Supply.
Thanks;

Earl

The place I found today for local pickup said cut to any length.

90cents/foot for 1"alumapex

60cents/foot for 1-1/4" o2 barrier (seems a little cheap)

gg

This is on Ebay for $150.00 per 100ft roll. Search this item number 300432188459

b33p3r said:
This is on Ebay for $150.00 per 100ft roll. Search this item number 300432188459

Same place but much cheaper if I pick up. They will also cut exact length.

gg

b33p3r said:

Thanks for that, I have an e-mail to the company. A bit out of the way for me to pick up. Does anyone know where this pipe is produced and what fittings are used?

Earl

E.W. said:
b33p3r said:

Thanks for that, I have an e-mail to the company. A bit out of the way for me to pick up. Does anyone know where this pipe is produced and what fittings are used?

Earl

It is made by watts for Badger heating suppy in Monfort, Wisconsin.

gg

once you get your pipe, pull out the old with out hooking up the new pipe, then buy a 4 inch mouse from the electrical supply house [maybe box store lumber yard] hook up a strong string get out the shop vac be care full this thing will suck threw there so fast the string will burn your fingers. hook a rope to your string pull that threw now you are ready pull in the new pipe. REASON - if the old pipe drags you are pulling twice the friction as needed plus if any insulation is lingering in the pipe the mouse will help suck it threw. My thoughts - but based in experience

I'm posting another ebay item number. Now I know this is not the item you want but the seller has a list of pex items other than this one. Browse the selection and see if what you want is there. I bought a roll of oxygen barrier 1-1/4" pex from them. Not installed yet so I can't give a reference other than fast delivery. 250640930797
I would love to hear your opinion on running 1-1/4" lines through 4" pipe. How did the pipe hold up? Did it take on any ground water? How long have you had that 4" PVC in the ground? Any problems with heat loss? etc etc

b33p3r said:
I'm posting another ebay item number. Now I know this is not the item you want but the seller has a list of pex items other than this one. Browse the selection and see if what you want is there. I bought a roll of oxygen barrier 1-1/4" pex from them. Not installed yet so I can't give a reference other than fast delivery. 250640930797
I would love to hear your opinion on running 1-1/4" lines through 4" pipe. How did the pipe hold up? Did it take on any ground water? How long have you had that 4" PVC in the ground? Any problems with heat loss? etc etc

Hey,thanks for the info. I sourced the Pex locally through my installer as I didn't want to mess with the shipping,etc. to Canada. I'll probably pay through the nose for the convenience.... As far as running the lines through the 4" PVC it has worked out well. The 4" has been in the ground for almost 11 years. Yes I do have ground water in the pipe as it sometimes runs into the basement. Usually after a prolonged wet spell when the ground is frozen. The 1 1/4" lines I ran in the 4" are Ki-Tec Pex-Al-Pex and have started to deteriorate so it's going to be replaced during the Econoburn install. I didn't install the 4" or the Ki-Tec but the fellow who did assured me he had the heat loss calculations done for the length of run,(approx. 60 feet), that the trench was insulated with extruded foam board and that the line is below frost which is around 4'-0" in this area. I get no snow melt above the pipe trench nor any other obvious signs of heat loss. That's about it.

Earl

Hey Earl
I was wondering about the breakdown of the PAP. Did it start leaking along the tubing or just where the connections were made ? I thought this type of tubing was tougher than standard pex. Any pics of tubing failure? Is it possible that the ground water contributed to aluminum layer failure? Thanks
Will

Willman said:
Hey Earl
I was wondering about the breakdown of the PAP. Did it start leaking along the tubing or just where the connections were made ? I thought this type of tubing was tougher than standard pex. Any pics of tubing failure? Is it possible that the ground water contributed to aluminum layer failure? Thanks
Will

My Ki-Tec is definitely failing at the connectors but also appears to be delaminating. This is on the above ground portions in the shed and basement so I would rule out the ground water being a factor. When we pull the pipe I'll have a close look to see how it was preforming. It is my understanding that one of the Ki-Tec problems was the de-zincification of the fittings. Ki-Tec was a brand name for a product produced by IPEX I believe. Other brands of Pex-Al-Pex may perform better. I'll try and get some pics.

Earl

Thanks Earl,
I have seen the fittings fail due to erosion/corrosion which may contribute to delam at the connection point. Looking forward to pics. My interest in this stems from my underfloor heating which uses PAP to eliminate sagging between joists. Also a critical component of install is to ream (with the correct reamer) the inner so as to slip on better and not plow up the tubing.Gotta get out to the barn and find the leftover tubing and see exactly which brand I installed 5 years ago. Hopefully not Ki Tec. Is there a smiley for sweating bullets?

Will

Status
Not open for further replies.