1 40 lb bag of Pellets = 2 1/3 gals of Home heating oil

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jack Morrissey

Feeling the Heat
Feb 25, 2009
Stoughton, Ma
Thats what it says on Corinth's Pellets bags. Sounds about right to me. Was given 6 bags of Corinths as payback from relatives running out of pellets so I loaned them 6. I have to say im impressed with them, have never tried them before. But there not cheap, I beleive they were 259 a ton.

sounds almost right for potential BTU value for sure. if a bag of pellets has 8000 btu/lb that = 320000 btu per bag. A gal of heating oil is 143000 btu. that equals 2.23 gals/oil per bag. If you break down efficiency #'s (most oil burners operate @ 85%) = 121500 per gal oil. If you read in pellets @ a minimum 75% efficiency (I know some are more efficient, but lets look worst case scenario) = 240000 btu per bag, then the # becomes more like 1.975 gal per bag pellets. with oil at roughly @3.50/gal and pellets at roughly $5 per bag: it costs you roughly $6.91 to heat with oil for what a $5 bag of pellets can do for you.

jack56 said:
Thats what it says on Corinth's Pellets bags. Sounds about right to me. Was given 6 bags of Corinths as payback from relatives running out of pellets so I loaned them 6. I have to say im impressed with them, have never tried them before. But there not cheap, I beleive they were 259 a ton.

I too am impressed with the Corinth's latest offering. Locally they are priced at $240/ton right now. It seems that the way MWP has stepped things up, So have other mills trying to compete. Competition is good!

Pretty much same cost for pellets and HHO here then. $9/bag for pellets or $8.30 for that 2.3 gals of HHO

NATE379 said:
Pretty much same cost for pellets and HHO here then. $9/bag for pellets or $8.30 for that 2.3 gals of HHO

We know why NATE379 burns wood. Holy cow look at them prices!

What does it cost per cord of wood in AK?

NATE379 said:

New meaning to Arm & Leg :O

Status
Not open for further replies.