1 or 2 dampers?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

eric859

Oct 4, 2010
New Jersey
So I just got a Osburn 2200 and really like it. It has a damper to control the air intake, but someone told me that I should have another damper between the insert and the liner controlling the amount of heat/air going up the liner. Is this true? Is it better to have a damper for both the incoming and outgoing air? If so, where do I buy a damper that connects between the insert and the liner?

Thanks
Eric

I have a free-standing stove, not an insert, but I think the controls are the same. I have air control for the primary air supply into the stove, no control for the secondary air into the stove, and no damper on the pipe. So far it is working fine. I think my setup is pretty typical for new wood stoves.

The damper on the stove is a bypass, to make for smokeless startups and no smoke spill on reloads. It's not quite the same as a stove pipe damper. Modern stoves usually don't need an inline pipe damper unless there is an exceptionally strong draft problem. Very few inserts have a pipe damper for the simple fact that access is lousy.

I would only install a second damper after consulting with the dealer your bought the insert from. In my experience, second to few but including BG, flue dampers are just not commonly used in fireplace inserts OR new free standing stoves.

Status
Not open for further replies.