1 year chimney cleaning

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

steeltowninwv

Minister of Fire
Nov 16, 2010
west virginia
i burn 24/7 when it gets cold....really the the only heat i use...i cleaned the chimney yesterday with the sooteater....man was i suprised...brown powder cam out of the chimney..enuf to fill maybe 2 shot glasses.....and then the only black soot came from the chimney cap...about 1/4 of a coffee cup....the soot eater broke off in the cap and went flying...ended up in my gutter...thats a different story...but i didnt know it was in the gutter i thought it was stuck in the chimney...so a neighbor came over and got on the roof to look for it in the chimney(i dont do roofs)...well we figured out it was in the gutter eventually...but anyways he told me the chimney was spic and span clean.....man am i ever pleased with what i found from a 1 year cleaning..

steeltowninwv said:
i burn 24/7 when it gets cold....really the the only heat i use...i cleaned the chimney yesterday with the sooteater....man was i suprised...brown powder cam out of the chimney..enuf to fill maybe 2 shot glasses.....and then the only black soot came from the chimney cap...about 1/4 of a coffee cup....the soot eater broke off in the cap and went flying...ended up in my gutter...thats a different story...but i didnt know it was in the gutter i thought it was stuck in the chimney...so a neighbor came over and got on the roof to look for it in the chimney(i dont do roofs)...well we figured out it was in the gutter eventually...but anyways he told me the chimney was spic and span clean.....man am i ever pleased with what i found from a 1 year cleaning..
Sounds like your were spinning the soot eater too fast. I usually run it at about half speed in the drill mode on my Mikita.

ahhh...now i see..i was running it full speed....thanks for the tip

Glad it was a clean.
Good dry wood = good clean burning :)
Pictures ? :)

no pics because i was scared i was gonna make a big mess..had the shop vac catching it as it fell.......

Status
Not open for further replies.