10-CPM fiberboard

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mithesaint

Minister of Fire
Nov 1, 2011
NW Ohio
My klutziness caught up to me again today. Had the stove apart to clean it up good and install some gaskets, etc, and I dropped the fiberboard. Broke down the middle, not completely in half but pretty close. I went on Englanders website, and saw that a new one was $60. Ouch.

Anyone substitute anything else? Not that I can't afford the 60+ shipping, but...ouch. I'll probably just break down and order a new one eventually, as the old one is probably usable one more time, but it's gonna come out in pieces next time I think.

Don't get me wrong, I love Englanders DIY attributes, but the price caught me off guard.

Find some retort and furnace cement (mortar) at a hardware store (it comes in a tub and is gray, it is good to the temperatures it will encounter and use it to glue the pieces together you can even put a thin sheet of steel behind the split and glue the sheet to the fiberboard for added support. The stuff will heat cure and it should last untill you get a replacement from England.

I have stoves that have fiberboard too! Why can't they make cast iron upgrades for them? The Avalon Astoria and Enviro Meridian have nice cast iron brick. You can paint them every summer and they last much longer!

120811062925_avalonastoria2afterpainting2.jpg

Find some retort and furnace cement (mortar) at a hardware store (it comes in a tub and is gray, it is good to the temperatures it will encounter and use it to glue the pieces together....
I agree....just cement it back together. It's pretty light, and there's no stress on it.

Agree... Its simple enough to cement back together and not as important as the upper ceramic boards on a wood stove.

Save some cash and repair yours.

Agree... Its simple enough to cement back together and not as important as the upper ceramic boards on a wood stove.

Save some cash and repair yours.

That would depend upon the purpose of that fiberboard to start with. If it is decorative only then repair is fine if not then only until a replacement arrives. Your manuals should speak to this for the stoves you have.

Status
Not open for further replies.